Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi all,
Just been told today I'm a member of the type 2 club by my doctor but i'm very confused and hope someone can shine a light on my confusion.
just under 2 weeks ago I had a blood test and the BG came back as 8 no other previous tests done just the results from this one
didnt see my doctor tonight but another at the same practice. earliest appointment hes put me on 500mg of Metformin twice a day.
before taking any medication I bought an Accu chek nano and did a test it was 4.6 then 2 hours later its 5.4 before my evening meal.
question is should i dive straight into munching on Metformin with it being this low would it make the level go too low???

I went back to my surgery and spoke to the receptionist, they went into (did you want a second opinion) cannot comment on another doctors decision on prescribing. he doubled my BP meds without blinking and this doesnt sit well as ive just been put on another BP med a week ago and its going down and im sure its not settled yet. the receptionist came back with "only take 1 a day until you see the nurse........

I didnt want a second opinion I was just asking how metformin could be prescribed on 1 bloodtest alone and that not being a fasting bloodtest either. ive got to wait a week for the Diabetic nurse as ive so many questions im glad ive found this forum. are the numbers indicative inconclusively Im type 2 or is there cause to question???

Am i over-reacting???
I appreciate any and all advise.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, if I were you I would not take metformin at least until you see a bad reading, I'd wait until you see your dn , I'm not a doctor nurse receptionist secretary or porter lol I'm as far away from qualified to give medical advice as its possible to be so its just my opinion, you could maybe eat healthily and avoid sweet things until your appointment, good luck

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have a talk with the diabetic nurse, did they do a hb1ac test on you to see what your levels have been on average over the past few months?

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Nope no other test no hb thingy was mentioned. He did mumble something about "being in the 70s" I asked him if he could write down the results but theres only so much can be crammed into 10 minutes. (Im that new to all this jargon)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All sounds a bit unprofessional. Fortunately Metformin is a no-problem drug, apart from stomach problems sometimes, and it won't cause a hypo. Sounds best to wait until you see the DN as it may be you aren't diabetic anyway. You need a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) or HBa1C test but some docs just 'guess' or like mine used a urine stick in the surgery!

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Took 1 500mg of Metformin before dinner and 2 hours later its 9.2 ??????
The doc did ask me to give a sample. Not firdt thing but while I was at the surgery.

Should I not take anymore until I've seen the DN or just one in the morning or at night????

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi and welcome! I am appalled at the VERY sudden diagnosis you have received. Your first reading at 8 was not terribly high and this should have been explained to you. What had you eaten just before? Dietary changes are ALWAYS your first attack. Your subsequent readings indicate normal blood readings. Your last indicate Type 2. Please do go and do a GGT and a Hbaic? That way you will know for definite.

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Dont worry ,I would agree with you go and see a Diabetic nurse ,if you can get in to see one .Dont let them push you into any thing you dont think is right ,and dont worry about upsetting them .Good luck mate ,and dont give up . :D

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
When I rang to rebook as they cancelled my appointment with the diabetic nurse (arranged cover for work partner coming with me they call 1 hour beforehand) gotta love em.
I asked if they had my hba1c and the receptionist said 8.9 and then said 50
50 what I have no idea.
Anyone know what this means? Would this one test say yes definitely or common sense do more tests.
I gave a urine sample at the time of seeing the doctor but don't know those results.

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They have different ways of expressing the hba1c you can see this on the main site ,I was told they look for a reading of below 53 for a type 2 . You can convert readings of blood glucose to hba1c readings on the site

elaine77

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately the majority of people feel they get no help whatsoever from the NhS when it comes to diabetes as most of them don't know anywhere near as much as the people in this here forum!

With regard to a GTT test I would do one myself and many people have done that! Just drink sum proper Lucozade testing your blood before and 1 hour after and 2 hours after and see what your readings are, it will give u a good baseline anyway! Gl!