Very happy with LCHF but my cholesterol has shot up.

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been following LCHF since I was diagnosed as prediabetic in January. It's been much easier than I thought, my BG readings are consistently in the normal range now, I feel great, I'm enjoying my food more than ever and have lost nearly 3 stones, BMI is now around 21.5. HbA1c down from 6.3 (45) to 5.7 (39). All positive changes to my life.

I posted on here a few months back about not wanting to lose any more weight - as a 55 year old woman I was starting to look a bit skinny - and I've now increased my fat intake (mostly extra cream in my coffee and a few more nuts) to try and up my calories. It seems to have worked because in the last few weeks my weight has stayed the same.

So........I decided that as I've lost the weight and have stabilised I'd go and have a cholesterol test. My last one in January at the start of my change in diet wasn't a fasting one (my doctor says not necessary) and my total cholesterol was 5.7 with HDL being 2.2. This time my (also non fasting) total cholesterol has shot up to 7.9, with HDL being 2.8. Please can someone explain to me if and why this is still ok? I just KNOW my doc is going to try and push statins my way and I really don't want them. How do people strike a balance between blood sugar readings, cholesterol levels, and preventing weight loss? I thought I had it cracked, now feeling unsure what to do..........I feel low carb is a way of life now and just need a bit of reassurance.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ Countryside_Yoyo

This all sounds very familiar!

My GP put me on statins for my elevated cholesterol, but they made me pretty ill. I told him I would get it down myself, without any more statins.

Continued with the lchf lifestyle; I have between 40-60g carbs per day. I doubled my exercise, taking I. A morning walk before work, as well as one in the evening (only about a mile each time).

Plenty of oily fish to eat - ideal snack is a tin of mackerel.

Sprinkling of nuts on my breakfast of berries and fresh double cream.

1-2 of the cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks per day.

GP, couldn't believe it; was back in the 'normal' range within 4 months

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been following LCHF since I was diagnosed as prediabetic in January. It's been much easier than I thought, my BG readings are consistently in the normal range now, I feel great, I'm enjoying my food more than ever and have lost nearly 3 stones, BMI is now around 21.5. HbA1c down from 6.3 (45) to 5.7 (39). All positive changes to my life.

I posted on here a few months back about not wanting to lose any more weight - as a 55 year old woman I was starting to look a bit skinny - and I've now increased my fat intake (mostly extra cream in my coffee and a few more nuts) to try and up my calories. It seems to have worked because in the last few weeks my weight has stayed the same.

So........I decided that as I've lost the weight and have stabilised I'd go and have a cholesterol test. My last one in January at the start of my change in diet wasn't a fasting one (my doctor says not necessary) and my total cholesterol was 5.7 with HDL being 2.2. This time my (also non fasting) total cholesterol has shot up to 7.9, with HDL being 2.8. Please can someone explain to me if and why this is still ok? I just KNOW my doc is going to try and push statins my way and I really don't want them. How do people strike a balance between blood sugar readings, cholesterol levels, and preventing weight loss? I thought I had it cracked, now feeling unsure what to do..........I feel low carb is a way of life now and just need a bit of reassurance.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Looks decent. My doctor cares about the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol. For women, 4.4 is an average risk; 3.3 is about half the average risk (according to Harvard). Yours was ~2.6, it is now ~2.8. Both are still less than half the average risk. But have a good conversation with yoru doctor the next time you go.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess the GPs must be a lot scarier in the UK than they are here. I just say "no, I won't take statins" and they get the picture and drop the subject. My GP even recommended I try a probiotic called Enliva because it's meant to lower cholesterol. I've trained him well :D

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Excellent numbers, Yoyo. Statins are quite literally poison. I'm guessing your triglycerides were low, which is also good. Personally, high HDL and low TG are all I want to see with respect to lipids.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people on the forum have found Prof Sikaris' advice useful:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be looking at the ratios, not the total figure (as should your doc). And your ratios look ok.

Do you know what your Trigs were? And was it a Fasting test?

If anyone ever offers me statins I will just politely refuse.
If they want to debate it I will just say 'there is no evidence that statins are beneficial to older women, but there IS evidence that higher cholesterol is protective to older women, please mark 'statin refuser' on my records'.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another cholesterol sceptic here. Totally agree with what has already been said. Just be smilingly polite and refuse the statins, you can point out that there is no research indicating benefits in Cholesterol reduction for women.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the cholesterol lowering foods and drinks either - but then I really believe that high cholesterol is probably protective against Alzheimer's and cancer.

Your HDL is stunningly good! With that HDL your LDL will be of the large pattern, which is not harmful at all. If your trigs are also low (1.69 is normal, the lower the better) - with that HDL I bet your trigs are below 1.

The best book to read, for reassurance, is Malcolm Kendrick's 'The Great Cholesterol Con'. Carry on doing what you are doing, you are healthy, Cholesterol is irrelevant.

You will probably find that your doctor recommends statins in a very lack-lustre way, because he has to, and easily accepts it when you say no. Even the GPS association has written objecting to Cholesterol guidelines, saying that they are not evidence based and the advisors to NICE are not independent. I will see if I can find a link to the letter.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking statins more than 2 years ago and my cholesterol levels are now roughly the same as yours, having risen steadily from the high 4s in 2008. My GP says it's my body and it's up to me. I'll carry on until my next test in April 2017 and re-assess.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read a very thorough summary relating to Statins recently, it was one of Zoe Harcombe's blogs - I really rate Zoe Harcombe. Here it is:

Worried about cholesterol and/or statins
March 24, 2015
The vast majority of comments I get on my blogs are about cholesterol and/or statins. I find myself saying the same things over and again, so this post is the one that I’ll now refer queries to – it should answer most of the worries that people seem to have. My top tip is: don’t have a cholesterol test and then you’ll have one fewer thing to worry about.

Worried about high cholesterol

Many of the comments start with people saying that they have high cholesterol. First of all – do you? Or are you part of the scam to make you think that your cholesterol is high because normal has been re-defined? This post may help.

If your cholesterol is anywhere on those normal charts (2-10 mmol/l = 77-387 mg/dl) – you may like to stop worrying.

You should also be aware that the blood cholesterol test doesn’t actually measure LDL (the thing they call ‘bad cholesterol’ – which is not even cholesterol – it’s a Low Density Lipoprotein) – they guess it. See point iv here. You should also be aware that even the total cholesterol, which they do try to measure, is known to be out by as much as 19%.

If you actually have high cholesterol (e.g. 10 mmol/l = 387 mg/dl or above) OR your cholesterol is high for you (i.e. relative to what you know yours normally is – your normal – not the made up normal), remember that your body makes cholesterol for good reason and consider the following: are you injured? stressed? pregnant? recovering from an operation? illness? Any of these will encourage your body to make more cholesterol.

Have you had a cholesterol test taken at the end of winter? in the heart of winter? Vitamin D is made by sunlight synthesizing cholesterol on the skin when you expose your skin to sunlight. Your cholesterol may simply be ‘high’ right now because you haven’t turned it into vitamin D (it’s the low vitamin D that will harm you – not the ‘high’ cholesterol – the high cholesterol can be a sign that you’re lacking vitamin D). Have another test at the end of the summer and make sure you give your body the chance to make some vitamin D with healthy sun exposure (not too much, not burning).

If you know that you have Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH) – check out the section on FH on this blog post. It may give you a different perspective on FH. High LDL can be the symptom – not the problem – the problem can be the exact opposite of what is assumed – that LDL is not getting to the cells (including heart cells) where it is vitally needed.

Check out these charts too – read them carefully – yes HIGH cholesterol is associated with LOW deaths and LOW cholesterol is associated with HIGH deaths for men and women, CVD deaths and all-cause mortality. (It’s the same for saturated fat, by the way).

Statins

I’m the wrong person to ask about statins – that’s your decision. It’s the easiest decision in the world for me – a statin will never pass my lips. This may help explain my position – and the fact that I know the utterly vital role that cholesterol plays in the human body and I trust my body to do what it was designed to do WAY more than I trust pharmaceutical companies to forgo profit in my best interests.

You may also like to read this. If you are in the highest risk group possible (men of a certain age who have already had a heart attack), for every 100 of these men given statins for five years, 1.8 men will live, on average, an extra 6 months and 98.2 will gain no benefit. The intelligent thinking in the world of cholesterol is that any ‘benefit’ of statins for this small, very high risk group, results from anti-inflammatory properties of statins; the cholesterol reduction being a serious and unwelcome side effect.

To look at this another way, some September 2015 research showed that you can take statins for years and you might gain an extra 3 days. Again – likely an anti-inflammatory effect; the cholesterol lowering being a serious price to pay.

Talking of side effects, these are substantially understated and those who mention statin side effects are viciously attacked. In March 2014, The Guardian reported Professor Rory Collins as saying “We have really good data from over 100,000 people that show that the statins are very well tolerated. There are only one or two well-documented [problematic] side effects.” Myopathy, or muscle weakness, occurred in one in 10,000 people, he said, and there was a small increase in diabetes.

As a result of the fall-out from this attack on two doctors who dared to mention statin side effects, it was revealed that Professor Rory Collins’s CTSU team, working on statin (and other) studies, has received c. £268 MILLION from pharmaceutical companies that make statins. If you want to know about statin side effects, just read a patient leaflet – by law they have to be more honest than researchers who withhold side-effect data:

The patient leaflet for Lipitor – the most lucrative statin, indeed the most lucrative drug ever in the history of mankind, states the following:

“Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) include:

• inflammation of the nasal passages, pain in the throat, nose bleed

• allergic reactions

• increases in blood sugar levels (if you have diabetes continue careful monitoring of your blood sugar levels), increase in blood creatine kinase

• headache

• nausea, constipation, wind, indigestion, diarrhoea

• joint pain, muscle pain and back pain

• blood test results that show your liver function can become abnormal“

You may also want to google “Statin diabetes lawsuit” to see how that one is gathering pace in the US. Fancy type 2 diabetes with your statin?! Other statin side effects include loss of libido (hello boys?!), loss of energy, muscle fatigue, muscle aches, weakness, loss of memory, loss of cognitive ability – generally feeling that your get up and go has got up and gone – and taken your mind with it. Former NASA astronaut Dr Duane Graveline has written of his experience here and here.

Do also check the patient leaflet for the over the age of 70 caution. I don’t think many doctors are aware of this. If you’re wondering about whether or not you should be on a statin and you’re over the age of 70/approaching this age – even the leaflet will caution against this. That will be because HIGH cholesterol is known to be particularly associated with LOW deaths in more elderly people (and LOW cholesterol with HIGH deaths).

Watch this (just half an hour) to see a doctor tear apart the nonsense in the cholesterol, statins, dietary fat world.

More reading?

If you’d like more free reading, check out anything on cholesterol/statins on Dr Malcolm Kendrick’s site and/or Dr John Briffa’s site.

For books, check out The Great Cholesterol Con; The Great Cholesterol Myth; Ignore the Awkward; Fat and cholesterol are good for you; just for starters – there are many more.

I hope that this answers most of the queries!

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone, your replies have put my mind at rest - I must admit, I didn't prepare myself for the fact that the overall number might go up, I really thought it would have gone down due to my change in diet, which has been consistent - no cheats. I really enjoy eating this way - it's for life now. I've made up my mind , if they are offered I won't be taking them up on it. I hope they see the ratios and don't offer statins at all.

@Brunneria it wasn't a fasting test, my doctor said they don't do fasting as not necessary. I would really like to have seen my trigs figure though.

Here's a question - if my trigs have likely gone down to less than 1 does that mean the LDL is the remaining balance - ie over 4? Sorry for ignorance!

Coincidentally I'm reading "The Great Cholesterol Con" and "Cholesterol Clarity" at the moment. I'll check out the other stuff and all the links, thank you for those.

I seriously cannot wait for the tide of advice and opinion on this to finally turn but despair of it being any time soon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria it wasn't a fasting test, my doctor said they don't do fasting as not necessary. I would really like to have seen my trigs figure though.

The reason they don't bother with fasting tests is that they are more expensive. So the surgery saves money. They also save the hassle of telling people to fast, and having to arrange appts for early in the day.

The result is less accurate and less useful test results. But they don't seem to mind that!

If you want a useful Trig number, then I am afraid it HAS to be fasting. This is because trigs go up and down with the amount of dietary fat floating about from your last meal. And if you are eating LCHF, then that amount of fat could significantly raise your Trigs. - I wonder how many people have been sent out with medication because they had a raised trigs from breakfast...? Plus the fact that those breakfast Trigs will have affected the overall Total Cholesterol. Insane, isn't it?

Have you seen the Ken Sikaris videos on You Tube? They are brilliant for explaining, in accessible terms, why cholesterol results are a complete waste of time - unless you are looking at Trigs taken from a properly Fasting test. :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The subtle differences between our two health systems are striking at times - there is always an insistence on fasting lipid tests and the phlebotomist always gives us the third degree about when we last ate etc. I was even refused a test once because I'd been fasting too long and they insisted it would mess with the results. Go figure ;)

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I'm feeling quite cross!

The doctors surgery phoned yesterday to pass on a message from the doctor, could I please come in and discuss my cholesterol blood test results? I said well there's really not much point in discussing anything without the proper info, a breakdown of HDL, LDL, and trigs, so could I please have a fasting blood test? The first one was a non-fasting test which I had just after eating lunch.

The nurse has rung back today with the doctors reply - she would like to see me, but she wasnt going to give me another test, and said it is not necessary to have a fasting blood test because the doctor gets the breakdown figures from a non-fasting test. Ok, I said, well what are they? I'll just have a look, said the nurse. Silence. Errrr, they're not here, there's no breakdown. I then explained that you only get accurate figures from a fasting test, after an awkward moment I was offered a telephone appointment with a different doctor, so I can beg for a fasting test, but I was told that the doctor may still not agree to do one.

Does anyone have any advice? My blood test figures are in the first post. The total cholesterol is quite high at 7.9, but my HDL has risen to 2.8, and the general feeling from this thread was that the individual ratios (which I obviously don't know) are probably very good,. I really don't want a fight on this, but I'm already starting to feel that my doctor just wants me on statins, pronto. I realise that I can't be forced to take them, but even without the prediabetes complication - I have worked so hard to get my Hba1c back to non diabetic levels and I really don't want statins pushing my levels back up again - surely no doctor should prescribe statins solely on one non fasting test?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you could suggest that you'll wait for the next test (whenever that's due), that you'll do it fasting and when you have the full results, then you'll discuss it with the GP. Just because the doctor requests your presence, nobody can force you to go. Meantime you're happy to keep doing what your doing and don't feel statins are an option for you right now. Stubborn but polite usually works ;)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Resist any pressure for statins with these numbers. The fact your HDL,is increasing is terrific. At 2.8 it's very positive...this is the so called "good cholesterol".

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your replies.

I just had a telephone convo with the doctor who said that my ratios were absolutely fantastic and she wouldn't even think of statins. Hurrah! Going to have another test in a year and I'm sure my LDL will have dropped by then. According to the Q risk chart my risk of a cardiac event in the next 10 years is 2.5% - I'll take that! She said if I really wanted to know my trigs, etc, I could have another test, this time a fasting one, but to be honest I'm not bothered what my levels are if she's not trying to push statins on me. So I'll carry on doing what I'm doing, LCHF has changed my life in so many ways.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just remember to state that it needs to be fasting next year.... even before sitting down having the blood taken - just check that ldl, hdl and trigs are listed...