1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Very hot fresh soft roll from the bakers

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by BioHaZarD, Jul 13, 2012.

1. BioHaZarD

BioHaZarD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wife went to bakers this morning and got couple of freshly baked soft rolls (still piping hot) I had 1 with a hot piece of mattersons sausage, real butter and some mustard for lunch, bit of cheese and a peperami on the side. 2.5 hours later missed 2 hours as was in car and forgot. But I am 5.7 after this. Quite surprised as was expecting a lot higher.

The roll was very different to bread rolls from supermarkets though, very light and very tasty not heavy at all.

2. catza

catza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can go off people very quickly you know. :D

Seriously that is a great result, I guess all the fat must have had a good effect on the carbs. :thumbup:

3. BioHaZarD

:lol: yeah I was hoping fat would calm the beast, just hope it's not slowed it down too much so I raises later maybe!

4. MaryJ

MaryJ · Well-Known Member

Lucky you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had a tiny piece of brown bread with a cheese board last week at a restaurant, slathered it in best butter, reading was fine

BUT

I wanted bread desperately later that day, I could not believe it. Months and months with NO bread - 1 tiny piece and WHAM craving back.

Craving did go quickly but sooooo easy.

Mary x

5. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I am in deep ketosis due to ultra low carbing, and as much as the smell of the bread would have had my tummy growling, there is no way I would have touched it. A. the carb cravings would come back (as you experienced) B. I would have to go through Atlins flu again. So while I am really chuffed for anyone who can manage a wee taste of something they used to love, it's not for me, carb cravings are a killer. :lol:

6. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Me either Def. I've written about this many times before. Just a little bit of anything is completely impossible for me, even some of the lovely low-carb sweet treats I've perfected over the years are not safe. If there are 6 courgette muffins in the house, I will eat 6 muffins. If there is a loaf of bread in the house, I will eat a loaf of bread.

You lucky, lucky people who can stop at one :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. BioHaZarD

I used to be the same, would never stop at just 1 I would have to eat the whole packet. But now I usually leave it alone and if I have a little bit I "just" have enough will power to stop.

8. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN

Dont be jealous, try these:

Breakfast rolls

100ml sesame seeds
    50ml of sunflower seeds
    50ml oatbran
    30ml of flaxseed
    200ml grated cheese
    4 eggs
    1 tbsp psyllum husks
    1/2 tsp salt
    11/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons nigella seeds (can be omitted, use other seeds, eg aniseed or fennel seed or herbs instead)
    poppy seeds or sesame seeds or other seeds for garnish _______________________________________________________________________________
    Grind sesame and sunflower seeds in a blender. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
    Whisk the eggs and cheese, then mix in the dry ingredients.
    Leave the mixture to stand for a few minutes, if it is not thick enough you can add more bran.
    Shape the dough into large rolls. I find it easiest to do this with a tablespoon dipped in water.
    Sprinkle seeds on top and bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
    http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ykker.html

Had them this morning, buttered and filled with bacon and fried egg, peeled tomato HEAVENLY!!

9. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

Re: FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN

I have never understood the need to find a bread replacement, but I never was a huge sandwich eater. Like the others, I also can't stop at one...

However, I liked bread a lot (especially Itallian breads).

When I eat "bead" (usually an almond based bread) now, it is usually hbecause I need to do something with my teeth when I'm eating something like soup. I like something to chew, it never feels like a proper meal if I have not chewed.

WJ, the recipie below looks interesting, but I note the measurements in "ml" is this a typo or are you using a cup rather than scales to measure out the ingredients?

Also, the psyllium husk, I recently bought some of this and it is ground to a fine poweder when i took th elid off. Would this make a difference to the recipe?

10. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

Spiral - I dont think it matters whether you use whole or ground psyllum husks (I use the whole psyllum husks to make a very good lc 'rice pudding' with coconut milk, sweetener, cinnamon YUM)

I use these rolls (or breadcakes as we call them up north) mainly for salad sandwiches or eat with soups, so I tend to use a milder, more bland cheese, like gouda.

The measurements are in ml because I use a measuring jug, the original recipe from Frida, Norwegian blog author, is measured in dl so I converted it into ml to make it easier for forum members.

These rolls/breadcakes are very nice, and its well worth trying to get hold of nigella seeds.

11. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

Yep, I SO know what you mean. I had to stop making cakes as I would eat three and four at a sitting, and that's no good for weight loss. I would also slather them with inches of double cream, telling myself all this fat was good. :lol: I will bake them again, but like you, only when there are people here to share with, so I don't scoff a lot myself. Thankfully the family do help, just not enough. :oops:

12. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will try these. I have nigella seeds in the cupboard, I use them in a spinach dish I make. I have an excellent local market with several Asian stalls and can get almost anything, spicewise.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook