Very hot fresh soft roll from the bakers

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wife went to bakers this morning and got couple of freshly baked soft rolls (still piping hot) I had 1 with a hot piece of mattersons sausage, real butter and some mustard for lunch, bit of cheese and a peperami on the side. 2.5 hours later missed 2 hours as was in car and forgot. But I am 5.7 after this. Quite surprised as was expecting a lot higher.

The roll was very different to bread rolls from supermarkets though, very light and very tasty not heavy at all.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can go off people very quickly you know. :D

Seriously that is a great result, I guess all the fat must have had a good effect on the carbs. :thumbup:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
catza said:
You can go off people very quickly you know. :D

Seriously that is a great result, I guess all the fat must have had a good effect on the carbs. :thumbup:

:lol: yeah I was hoping fat would calm the beast, just hope it's not slowed it down too much so I raises later maybe!

MaryJ

Lucky you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had a tiny piece of brown bread with a cheese board last week at a restaurant, slathered it in best butter, reading was fine

BUT

I wanted bread desperately later that day, I could not believe it. Months and months with NO bread - 1 tiny piece and WHAM craving back.

Craving did go quickly but sooooo easy.

Mary x

Defren

MaryJ said:
Lucky you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had a tiny piece of brown bread with a cheese board last week at a restaurant, slathered it in best butter, reading was fine

BUT

I wanted bread desperately later that day, I could not believe it. Months and months with NO bread - 1 tiny piece and WHAM craving back.

Craving did go quickly but sooooo easy.

Mary x

I am in deep ketosis due to ultra low carbing, and as much as the smell of the bread would have had my tummy growling, there is no way I would have touched it. A. the carb cravings would come back (as you experienced) B. I would have to go through Atlins flu again. So while I am really chuffed for anyone who can manage a wee taste of something they used to love, it's not for me, carb cravings are a killer. :lol:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me either Def. I've written about this many times before. Just a little bit of anything is completely impossible for me, even some of the lovely low-carb sweet treats I've perfected over the years are not safe. If there are 6 courgette muffins in the house, I will eat 6 muffins. If there is a loaf of bread in the house, I will eat a loaf of bread.

You lucky, lucky people who can stop at one :clap: :clap: :clap:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be the same, would never stop at just 1 I would have to eat the whole packet. But now I usually leave it alone and if I have a little bit I "just" have enough will power to stop.

WhitbyJet

FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN

Dont be jealous, try these:

Breakfast rolls

100ml sesame seeds
50ml of sunflower seeds
50ml oatbran
30ml of flaxseed
200ml grated cheese
4 eggs
1 tbsp psyllum husks
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons nigella seeds (can be omitted, use other seeds, eg aniseed or fennel seed or herbs instead)
poppy seeds or sesame seeds or other seeds for garnish _______________________________________________________________________________
Grind sesame and sunflower seeds in a blender. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Whisk the eggs and cheese, then mix in the dry ingredients.
Leave the mixture to stand for a few minutes, if it is not thick enough you can add more bran.
Shape the dough into large rolls. I find it easiest to do this with a tablespoon dipped in water.
Sprinkle seeds on top and bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ykker.html

Had them this morning, buttered and filled with bacon and fried egg, peeled tomato HEAVENLY!!

Spiral

Re: FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN

I have never understood the need to find a bread replacement, but I never was a huge sandwich eater. Like the others, I also can't stop at one...

However, I liked bread a lot (especially Itallian breads).

When I eat "bead" (usually an almond based bread) now, it is usually hbecause I need to do something with my teeth when I'm eating something like soup. I like something to chew, it never feels like a proper meal if I have not chewed.

WJ, the recipie below looks interesting, but I note the measurements in "ml" is this a typo or are you using a cup rather than scales to measure out the ingredients?

Also, the psyllium husk, I recently bought some of this and it is ground to a fine poweder when i took th elid off. Would this make a difference to the recipe?

WhitbyJet said:
Dont be jealous, try these:

Breakfast rolls

100ml sesame seeds
50ml of sunflower seeds
50ml oatbran
30ml of flaxseed
200ml grated cheese
4 eggs
1 tbsp psyllum husks
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons nigella seeds (can be omitted, use other seeds, eg aniseed or fennel seed or herbs instead)
poppy seeds or sesame seeds or other seeds for garnish _______________________________________________________________________________
Grind sesame and sunflower seeds in a blender. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Whisk the eggs and cheese, then mix in the dry ingredients.
Leave the mixture to stand for a few minutes, if it is not thick enough you can add more bran.
Shape the dough into large rolls. I find it easiest to do this with a tablespoon dipped in water.
Sprinkle seeds on top and bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ykker.html

Had them this morning, buttered and filled with bacon and fried egg, peeled tomato HEAVENLY!!

WhitbyJet

Spiral - I dont think it matters whether you use whole or ground psyllum husks (I use the whole psyllum husks to make a very good lc 'rice pudding' with coconut milk, sweetener, cinnamon YUM)

I use these rolls (or breadcakes as we call them up north) mainly for salad sandwiches or eat with soups, so I tend to use a milder, more bland cheese, like gouda.

The measurements are in ml because I use a measuring jug, the original recipe from Frida, Norwegian blog author, is measured in dl so I converted it into ml to make it easier for forum members.

These rolls/breadcakes are very nice, and its well worth trying to get hold of nigella seeds.

Defren

wiflib said:
Me either Def. I've written about this many times before. Just a little bit of anything is completely impossible for me, even some of the lovely low-carb sweet treats I've perfected over the years are not safe. If there are 6 courgette muffins in the house, I will eat 6 muffins. If there is a loaf of bread in the house, I will eat a loaf of bread.

You lucky, lucky people who can stop at one :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yep, I SO know what you mean. I had to stop making cakes as I would eat three and four at a sitting, and that's no good for weight loss. I would also slather them with inches of double cream, telling myself all this fat was good. :lol: I will bake them again, but like you, only when there are people here to share with, so I don't scoff a lot myself. Thankfully the family do help, just not enough. :oops:

Spiral

WhitbyJet said:
Spiral - I dont think it matters whether you use whole or ground psyllum husks (I use the whole psyllum husks to make a very good lc 'rice pudding' with coconut milk, sweetener, cinnamon YUM)

I use these rolls (or breadcakes as we call them up north) mainly for salad sandwiches or eat with soups, so I tend to use a milder, more bland cheese, like gouda.

The measurements are in ml because I use a measuring jug, the original recipe from Frida, Norwegian blog author, is measured in dl so I converted it into ml to make it easier for forum members.

These rolls/breadcakes are very nice, and its well worth trying to get hold of nigella seeds.

Thanks. I will try these. I have nigella seeds in the cupboard, I use them in a spinach dish I make. I have an excellent local market with several Asian stalls and can get almost anything, spicewise.