very low fasting numbers

Dobbs

I've been following a strict low carb approach for the past week. I've seen my numbers drop, as I expected them to. However, before bed last night I was 5.7 and when I woke up this morning I was 2.2. This seemed a little scary. Should I be worried? Obviously my "dawn phenomenon" is a bit different than other people's...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
hi, what medication are you on? I'm presuming if numbers that low then either insulin or a blood glucose lowering tablet (ie not metformin?)

When I started my low carb diet I was on 28u lantus and 6u novorapid with each meal but within a week I had dropped the lantus to 20u and stopped the novorapid completely (I replaced with metformin)

I did go hypo a few times in the beginning though so had to experiment with dropping the lantus (I just stopped the novorapid from day one) to get the right amount. Also I think maybe your body is adjusting in the beginning particularly if you had a lot of carbs before so just bear with it, drop your insulin gradually (if you take it - not sure what to do if you are on tablets) and it should stabilise in a short while.

Now I hardly ever go hypo which has been a massive bonus for me

Trinkwasser

Agree, sounds like you are now overmedicated for your new diet and will probably need to reduce your dosage, see if your doctor is sympathetic. Telling you to stay on the same dose and eat more carbs would be the B answer.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dobbs
Is this a regular thing, or a one off?
If it's reguar, sometthing needs adjusting, if one-off, be careful!

Dobbs

thanks all for your helpful comments - but no, I'm on Metformin, 2x500mg a day. That's why the 2.2 was so weird (unless my meter was somehow malfunctioning). It hasn't happened since - in fact I have the opposite problem, my morning fasting numbers are a bit high (6.7, 7.2 etc) but numbers in the evening seem pretty good (5.3 before meal, 6.7 an hour after, 5.8 two hours after). Hmm. Anyway, I wish my doctor had advised me to use a meter when I was diagnosed last summer - it's incredibly helpful and actually quite reassuring (most of the time)!