Victoza and Blurry vision in one eye.

HannahDale

Hiya Everyone.

New here, so please be gentle!

Does anyone know *how* Victoza can cause blurry vision? I mean, what happens in the eye, for the vision to blur?

I'm on Victoza, have been for a couple of months. I've also had blurry vision. For roughly a similar time. Eye hospital want to give me an injection, but I'd prefer to discount the Victoza first, obviously!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,ve been on victoza nearly 6 weeks and have had no eye problems.the only thing I did have for a month was indigestion

Dark Horse

There are 2 common causes of blurred vision in people with diabetes. The first occurs when blood glucose levels are so high that the focussing ability of the lens changes. This may occur when initially diagnosed and reverses over a few weeks as blood glucose levels are brought under control. It is for this reason that newly diagnosed diabetics are recommended to wait a few weeks before buying new glasses as their prescription is likely to change.

The second cause is much more serious. Diabetic macular oedema occurs when high glucose levels have damaged the fine blood vessels in the macula (the part of the retina where we see things in detail) and made them leaky. Fluid leaks out and makes the macula swell which leads to damage to the light receptors. Initially there are no symptoms and this is the most effective time to start treatment. Later there may be blurred vision and perhaps a "washed out" appearance. Treatment at this stage (injections or laser) aims to stabilise these changes and prevent further deterioration.

It is likely that Victoza use and blurred vision from diabetic macular oedema are both due to having high blood glucose levels rather than the Victoza itself causing blurred vision.

HannahDale

There are 2 common causes of blurred vision in people with diabetes. The first occurs when blood glucose levels are so high that the focussing ability of the lens changes. This may occur when initially diagnosed and reverses over a few weeks as blood glucose levels are brought under control. It is for this reason that newly diagnosed diabetics are recommended to wait a few weeks before buying new glasses as their prescription is likely to change.

The second cause is much more serious. Diabetic macular oedema occurs when high glucose levels have damaged the fine blood vessels in the macula (the part of the retina where we see things in detail) and made them leaky. Fluid leaks out and makes the macula swell which leads to damage to the light receptors. Initially there are no symptoms and this is the most effective time to start treatment. Later there may be blurred vision and perhaps a "washed out" appearance. Treatment at this stage (injections or laser) aims to stabilise these changes and prevent further deterioration.

It is likely that Victoza use and blurred vision from diabetic macular oedema are both due to having high blood glucose levels rather than the Victoza itself causing blurred vision.

Thanks Dark Horse. I understand both of your points. It is likely I have the second. However, I've been diagnosed since 2001 and am better controlled over the last 9 months than I've ever been. I have had blurred vision in one eye for a couple of months. I have been taking Victoza for a couple of months. Blurred vision is a side effect which seems to affect 0.45 people who take Victoza, but I can't seem to find the actual reason for it. I just want to make sure, before I let anyone at my eye with a needle, that it's not caused by the Victoza.

Dark Horse

Thanks Dark Horse. I understand both of your points. It is likely I have the second. However, I've been diagnosed since 2001 and am better controlled over the last 9 months than I've ever been. I have had blurred vision in one eye for a couple of months. I have been taking Victoza for a couple of months. Blurred vision is a side effect which seems to affect 0.45 people who take Victoza, but I can't seem to find the actual reason for it. I just want to make sure, before I let anyone at my eye with a needle, that it's not caused by the Victoza.
A small number of people taking Victoza in combination with insulin develop blurred vision due to hypoglycaemia.

If you have diabetic macular oedema, the eye clinic should have examined your eyes to determine whether or not you have diabetic changes at the macula before offering you an injection for maculopathy.

HannahDale

A small number of people taking Victoza in combination with insulin develop blurred vision due to hypoglycaemia.

If you have diabetic macular oedema, the eye clinic should have examined your eyes to determine whether or not you have diabetic changes at the macula before offering you an injection for maculopathy.

Dark Horse, do you mind if I PM you?