1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Victoza and travel

Discussion in 'Incretin Mimetics' started by suzyg, Jan 19, 2015.

1. suzyg

suzyg Type 2 · Newbie

I am going on holiday to New Zealand and will be away for 36 days. I have a Frio wallet for transporting my Victoza and Levemir. However Victoza has an in-use limit of 30 days, so I should discard it after it has been out of the fridge after that time. I cannot get Victoza in New Zealand (already inquired). Any thoughts on what I can/should do? The levemir will be fine as it is ok for up to 42 days.

2. Marvin

Marvin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would have thought that if you kept the unopened Victoza in an activated Frio wallet, that would count as it being in the fridge. The thirty days limit is if it is kept at room temperature, and the Frio ought to keep it a good few degrees lower than that. I'm sure Novo Nordisk (the manufacturers) would advise, if asked. Presumably you will leave home with an opened pen and an unopened one... the opened one will be OK for the whole of its remaining life. So Its only the unopened one that is at issue, and the Frio wallet should keep it OK during the journey...then pop it in the fridge when you get to NZ... its a relatively civilised country, after all!

3. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi @suzyg
    yes -- concur with @Marvin on that -- stored in a frio wallet will keep it at a temperature low enough to count as refrigerated -- then pop it in a real fridge once you arrive,

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook