1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Virtahealth: Now We Know Why You Can Lose Weight With Reduced Hunger And Cravings

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by ringi, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is an update on recent research, therefore you may need to read "the art and science of low carb living" book before reading this blog post.

Note that they (not very helpfully) call the Newcastle Diet (ND) by its correct name "VLCD" and used the correct name (DiRECT) for the most recent paper on it that is correctly referenced as “Lean 2018“. (It is also not possible to compare the a1c results between the studies as they had different policies on Mataformin.)

See https://blog.virtahealth.com/ketosis-appetite-hunger/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Thanks for posting this. :)

3. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this.
    It confirms my experience .
    I did eat what the general public considerd healthy and cooked most of my meals before Being diagnosed but I was always hungry.
    I worry that with the public becoming more aware about low carb that the message of higher fat will be lost. And it will set people up for failure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

They say "In other words, something about nutritional ketosis promotes weight loss by a combination of reduced appetite and/or better access to body fat stores for fuel." which agrees with what I've read...

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

They reference "Figure 2" but it doesn't appear on that page! :) :banghead:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook