Viruses and blood glucose

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much can a virus affect blood glucose levels? I'm on very low carbs and my levels are still hovering beween 7 and 15, so I was wondering how much of it could be a bad virus I have. The virus will probably be with me till I have surgery to remove the infected bit.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What were you Bg's b4 the virus struck?

I don't know, i only started testing again a month ago and my HBa1C was 13.7. daily BG was up to around 30!
I've listed my food elsewhere on here, I'm lower than 50 carbs every day, often much less, so that isn't the problem.

My DN showed the the previous year's A1C tests and my levels rose dramatically from July of last year, just before I started getting the symptoms of the virus. which makes me think it's connected.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely infections can cause rises in blood glucose levels. Our bodies are busy dealing with the infection so everything gets disrupted. Our levels rise even with a common head cold, so I think your infection could well not be helping your levels. You have brought your levels down brilliantly so far. Don't loose heart, and try not to worry. When are you having your surgery?

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know yet, should be getting biopsy results any day now, although doctor was pretty certain he was right in his diagnosis and that surgery will be needed, but they have to go through all the steps just to make sure.
I might also have to come off one of the drugs I'm on, Humira, because he says this virus is a rare side effect of the Humira, a drug which also increases blood levels! Unfortunately the replacement drug, Stelara, also increases BG levels! I feel like I'm going round in circles!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And now today my psoriatic athritis has started to flare in my toes, very painful and no doubt another BG rise :(

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw one of my consultants yesterday and he agreed that the new virus is affecting my BG levels, but then explained that all my illnesses and all the many meds I have to take affect my blood levels so not to expect to get right down to 'normal' levels :(
Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it explains why my strict under 50 carbs a day isn't reducing BG levels as much as it should after a month! Why does everything have to be such a struggle?!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seeing consultant today for biopsy results.... :nailbiting:

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I saw one of my consultants yesterday and he agreed that the new virus is affecting my BG levels, but then explained that all my illnesses and all the many meds I have to take affect my blood levels so not to expect to get right down to 'normal' levels :(
Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it explains why my strict under 50 carbs a day isn't reducing BG levels as much as it should after a month! Why does everything have to be such a struggle?!

How have things been? I'm in a similar place, I'm still on Humira but had bad infection back in April 2015 now due to have surgery in around 8 weeks to remove bits, also last Oct 2014 had emergency surgery for a 5cmx5cm neck abscess, was on around 20 different meds 7-8 weeks ago I quit all meds except Humira my BG was 22-35, I put myself on a LCHF only 10--20 carbs a day, meter readings stayed high first 2 weeks then started to decline down to 15-18 then dropped further over the following weeks on the 7th week they've been 5.2-7.7 but mainly in the 6 range. My GP and Diabetic nurse told me the same that normal BG wasn't an option for me in April they were ready to put me on insulin, but they added a third medication which papered over the cracks for a while, so glad I stuck to the LCHF.