Visceral Body Fat MRI

shaneo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ever asked their doctor for an MRI to evaluate visceral body fat percentage?
I know my GP will probably refuse, but I'd be very interested in finding out, being a 60kg type 2 diabetic with no genetic history at all. It might provide some closure as to how a skinny 20 year could develop diabetes, and would provide a good platform in terms of deciding which exercise routine would suit, ie focusing less on muscle-building and more initially on visceral fat burning.

I'd be expecting to see some of the lower mri's in this image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFI#m..._in_men_with_the_same_waist_circumference.jpg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The costs for an MRI scan in 2013/14 were (Private Patient prices in an NHS hospital):

upload_2015-1-22_21-5-16.png

At those rates, a single area scan would pay for my testing (let's calculate that on 100 strips a month at a discounted £6 for 50) for 38 months - over 3 years. Two equates to 46 months, three areas, 61 months and four areas, 75 months or over 6 years. The NHS can't afford to pay for my test strips.

At those costs, I'd be astonished if you were granted your wish.