1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vit b12

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by jumbleannie1VDJQ, Sep 21, 2012.

1. jumbleannie1VDJQ

jumbleannie1VDJQ · Well-Known Member

Had a blood test a few weeks ago as I was having memory problems,(scared I was starting with Altzimers). The results showed I had a Vit B12 deficiency, so I started on a course of supplements. Result! memory improved, though that could be due to a stressful situation changing, but also a dramatic change in Bs levels. If anyone can explain this I would love to hear from them. Please keep it simple though, as I don't have a degree in nutrition.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom · Well-Known Member

Hi, are you taking Metformin?

3. jumbleannie1VDJQ

4. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi jumbleannie. :)

I am on B12 supplements and have noticed improvement.

I have also been told that simple brain games are a very good exercise.

Also you may find that these flakes can be great to add to your meals etc; Marigold Engevita Yeast Flakes & B12 125g.

Stress has got to play a large contribution towards the problem.

I am trying to avoid fatty foods (meat, cheese etc;).

Was your memory loss, "long or short memory loss".

Good health

Roy. :)

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle · Member

Hi, are you on injections ? I was diagnosed with b12 def a few years back and have injections every 3 mths I know when I'm due as my fingers start to tingle and become numb,both my children have it ( a rouge gene it seems as there are over 20 of us with it on my mums side ! Much to the amazement of drs who are forever telling us it's rare ! )
    My son was 14 when he was diagnosed and is now 20 we can tell when he needs it as he sleeps a lot ( well a lot more than he does normally !)
    My mother was diagnosed after all her children and grandchildren were ( in denial ! ) and we have noticed an improvement in her memory and energy levels.

Hope it continues to inprove for you
    X

6. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I take a B-complex with extra B12 as a supplement each day, would something like that not help those of you with a diagnosed deficiency? I don't have a deficiency I take it with other vitamin and mineral supplements 'just in case'.

7. desidiabulum

desidiabulum · Well-Known Member

Alas, no -- with full-blown B12 deficiency you need injections every 3 months. But given that it is well attested that metformin can reduce B12 absorption, it is perhaps not a bad idea for those T2s who are taking metformin long-term to take a B12 supplement 'just in case', as you say.

8. jumbleannie1VDJQ

Memory loss was/is short term, but has improved a lot, so am putting it down to stress and keep taking the vit tabs. Energy levels have improved too so I intend keeping taking the tablets, if I can remember where I put em :lol:

9. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you are having regular blood tests then your doctor should be able to see if you may have a B12 deficiency purely by looking at your red blood cell count as vit B12 deficiency shows as a decrease in or a low red blood cell count.

Metformin can cause a vit B12 deficiency but as with all side effects it is not a given and taking a supplement for something you are not deficient in is at best a waste of money and at worst could be detrimental to your health.

Most vit deficiencies can be easily checked for.

10. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

Ahhh, I see, thanks. I was diagnosed with a vitD deficiency and prescribed a supplement with added calcium, I didn't think it was strong enough, so I also take extra in a VitD spray. I do like to cover all eventualities. :lol:

11. desidiabulum

desidiabulum · Well-Known Member

Wow -- didn't know you could get a spray. Could you get it with a hair conditioner as well?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook