Vit b12

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Had a blood test a few weeks ago as I was having memory problems,(scared I was starting with Altzimers). The results showed I had a Vit B12 deficiency, so I started on a course of supplements. Result! memory improved, though that could be due to a stressful situation changing, but also a dramatic change in Bs levels. If anyone can explain this I would love to hear from them. Please keep it simple though, as I don't have a degree in nutrition.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jumbleannie. :)

I am on B12 supplements and have noticed improvement.

I have also been told that simple brain games are a very good exercise.

Also you may find that these flakes can be great to add to your meals etc; Marigold Engevita Yeast Flakes & B12 125g.

Stress has got to play a large contribution towards the problem.

I am trying to avoid fatty foods (meat, cheese etc;).

Was your memory loss, "long or short memory loss".

Good health

Roy. :)

Southernbelle

Hi, are you on injections ? I was diagnosed with b12 def a few years back and have injections every 3 mths I know when I'm due as my fingers start to tingle and become numb,both my children have it ( a rouge gene it seems as there are over 20 of us with it on my mums side ! Much to the amazement of drs who are forever telling us it's rare ! )
My son was 14 when he was diagnosed and is now 20 we can tell when he needs it as he sleeps a lot ( well a lot more than he does normally !)
My mother was diagnosed after all her children and grandchildren were ( in denial ! ) and we have noticed an improvement in her memory and energy levels.

Hope it continues to inprove for you
X

Defren

I take a B-complex with extra B12 as a supplement each day, would something like that not help those of you with a diagnosed deficiency? I don't have a deficiency I take it with other vitamin and mineral supplements 'just in case'.

desidiabulum

Defren said:
I take a B-complex with extra B12 as a supplement each day, would something like that not help those of you with a diagnosed deficiency? I don't have a deficiency I take it with other vitamin and mineral supplements 'just in case'.

Alas, no -- with full-blown B12 deficiency you need injections every 3 months. But given that it is well attested that metformin can reduce B12 absorption, it is perhaps not a bad idea for those T2s who are taking metformin long-term to take a B12 supplement 'just in case', as you say.

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Memory loss was/is short term, but has improved a lot, so am putting it down to stress and keep taking the vit tabs. Energy levels have improved too so I intend keeping taking the tablets, if I can remember where I put em :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
desidiabulum said:
But given that it is well attested that metformin can reduce B12 absorption, it is perhaps not a bad idea for those T2s who are taking metformin long-term to take a B12 supplement 'just in case', as you say.

If you are having regular blood tests then your doctor should be able to see if you may have a B12 deficiency purely by looking at your red blood cell count as vit B12 deficiency shows as a decrease in or a low red blood cell count.

Metformin can cause a vit B12 deficiency but as with all side effects it is not a given and taking a supplement for something you are not deficient in is at best a waste of money and at worst could be detrimental to your health.

Most vit deficiencies can be easily checked for.

Defren

desidiabulum said:
Defren said:

Alas, no -- with full-blown B12 deficiency you need injections every 3 months. But given that it is well attested that metformin can reduce B12 absorption, it is perhaps not a bad idea for those T2s who are taking metformin long-term to take a B12 supplement 'just in case', as you say.

Ahhh, I see, thanks. I was diagnosed with a vitD deficiency and prescribed a supplement with added calcium, I didn't think it was strong enough, so I also take extra in a VitD spray. I do like to cover all eventualities. :lol: