Vit D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Many thanks for the folks who put info up on vit D. l read that and knew where my sore joints and exhaustion come from. Dr was skeptical but tested anyhow he isnt skeptical now.
l am 27 should be min 50 so on tablets
Joys of 11yrs of nights would urge all night workers to have checks for vitD

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I have really bad aching joints/pains in hands and fingers and had my Vit D level checked and it came back at 45. I am already on two Vit D tablets a day as prescribed by my Dr, but they have said 45 is normal?!?! Do you think I should go back and question this?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I would guess it depends what units they use l don't know, with blood glucose there is 2 different types that have the same meaning. But even if same units l would say that 5 under and you are already on vit D l wouldn't worry lots of other reasons to ache. I would say if they are painful then get him to look for other reasons.
I am just hoping that mine is a Vitamin D cause other wise add another whatever to my falling apart list. It isnt a major problem just l am fed up of going **** OUCH! when l stand up after cleaning floors or lifting heavy dogs etc.... :hilarious:

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch - I feel your pain :-( Sucks big style. I was diagnosed as Vit D deficient two years ago and put on Calceos Tablets but this past winter has been terrible - I've never felt pain like it. I don't like going to the Dr's as I feel like I am wasting their time :-( So I just put up with it :-(

I have a "list" too - just love adding new things to it - NOT!

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Europe the unit usually is nmol/L while in the States it is ng/dl.

In nmol/L you want your vitamin D above 75.

In ng/dl you want it above 30.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think mine was 46 nmol/L when I was prescribed 2 Calcichew D3 Forte. I still take them over 3 years later. But also take another 3000 IU on top of this. I can tell when I am getting low on Vitamin D as I start to feel terrible.

Dee2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wasps..seafood..stray dogs
I think mine was 46 nmol/L when I was prescribed 2 Calcichew D3 Forte. I still take them over 3 years later. But also take another 3000 IU on top of this. I can tell when I am getting low on Vitamin D as I start to feel terrible.
Hi..I have been having lots of bone pain (not joint) so had a visit to the doctor one day as I woke up and couldn't walk..she sent me straight to A&E where I had an xray on my hip..the result came back normal..but I still felt something was not quite right so I returned to the doctor..blood tests were taken ..vitamin D being one of them..my result came back as 15..I was put on a mega dose for the first week..332,000 iu with a follow up of 800iu a day for the next 2 months..I'd like to know if the vitamin D affects the use of Insulin please as since taking the Vit D I have had to increase my doses..I am LADA type 1.5..thank you

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
It may not affect your insulin but the fact your body is running differently and using muscles properly when before a lot were not functioning. This link was posted somewhere on here and has some interesting comments.

Totto l had a read around the the net to find out minimum amounts and what l found said min 45ng/ml but body needs to be between 50-80ng/ml to be functioning properly.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vitamin D deficiency is common in most autoimmune diseases.

To start with such an enormous as a starting dose may be unwise. On the other hand, 800IU per day is next to nothing. I find 5000IU per day works fine for me during the dark months but I never was severely deficient.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may not affect your insulin but the fact your body is running differently and using muscles properly when before a lot were not functioning. This link was posted somewhere on here and has some interesting comments.

Totto l had a read around the the net to find out minimum amounts and what l found said min 45ng/ml but body needs to be between 50-80ng/ml to be functioning properly.
Very interesting link, thanks MID!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I agree with the low in autoimmune and also for other reasons as l said mine started doing nights and never built up and then l am guessing my t2 whacked it on the head more added to that as l don't end up outside much and food wise wasn't eating correctly.
I disagree with the "unwise" comment. The initial blast doses are not long term mine is 2 weeks then 20k/week which is less over 7 days than you are taking and l am pre blood tested and also blood tests are done regularly while on vit D l have to have a test in a month.
Dee again bloods pre and regular checks her dose was very high for a very short period then stabilised. From what l read the lower the body reading is it is the harder for the body to utilise the extra it gets and even then a lot is wasted. and given that we are autoimmune we are utilising even less well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the low in autoimmune and also for other reasons as l said mine started doing nights and never built up and then l am guessing my t2 whacked it on the head more added to that as l don't end up outside much and food wise wasn't eating correctly.
I disagree with the "unwise" comment. The initial blast doses are not long term mine is 2 weeks then 20k/week which is less over 7 days than you are taking and l am pre blood tested and also blood tests are done regularly while on vit D l have to have a test in a month.
Dee again bloods pre and regular checks her dose was very high for a very short period then stabilised. From what l read the lower the body reading is it is the harder for the body to utilise the extra it gets and even then a lot is wasted. and given that we are autoimmune we are utilising even less well.
Some people I know on a thyroid forum had huge loading doses and felt pants for a long time afterwards, that is why I said it might be unwise. A decent dose of 4000-8000IU or more per day can do quite as much without the adverse effects.

Vitamin D has helped me in so many ways. Energy gain and loss of pain to name the major gains.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Ahh ok well you didn't actually say the reason for the unwise statement.. having that helps us to understand where you are coming from:)
Now the question is, is it like us T2 who have pre diagnosis have been running stupidly high bg suddenly at a screaming stop and heading to sensible we get the "mini hypos" while our body adjusts to being in normal range?

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got in to see my Dr. As I thought Vit D is low still and been prescribed two tablets of colecalciferol 20,000unit capsules once a month for three months on top of the calceos tablets I am already taking. Hope to feel better soon. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
My joints are definatly not as sore and l dont think l am as tired but as back to traveling round the country so get stressed that is a not sure

misty1960

Hi,
I agree vitamin d deficiency treatment does help many people, it definitely helped me. I have been virtually pain free after being given injections for vit d deficiency. I had suffered joint & muscle pain for many years and had actually resigned from work because of my severe pain. Only a change in diabetic consultant helped me because he recognised my problems and ordered vit d blood test. I had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I know from reading various threads on this forum that many people suffer severe pain. I wish more gps or consultants would consider vit d deficiency in case anyone else can be helped.