Vitamin And Supplement Suppliers

Trinkwasser

Just been ordering a couple of things.

Two of the better suppliers for esoteric things like Alpha Lipoic Acid are

http://www.thevitaminservice.com/home.asp?info=Home

http://www.bodykind.com/default.asp

I have a problem with the ordering system on the latter but they are friendly and helpful over the phone

HOWEVER

both are somewhat expensive when it comes to run of the mill stuff like multivitamins

Over the years I've used a lot of other suppliers, mostly the stuff turns up on time and correct, prices vary from source to source.

Deas anyone have any stand-out suppliers to recommend or people definitely to be avoided?

Slinger

hi

i saw a program on tele a few months ago about vits and mins, surprisingly most about 90% of people get enough with their food, so to me its a big scam for the companies to get even more money

ste

Trinkwasser

Slinger said:
hi

i saw a program on tele a few months ago about vits and mins, surprisingly most about 90% of people get enough with their food, so to me its a big scam for the companies to get even more money

ste

Oh yes I mostly agree, plus it's a much tastier way of getting them!

However there are definite advantages in some additives, in my case ALA and Evening Primrose Oil (I don't bother with fish oil as I eat the entire fish!)

Then there are things which appear to be short in the population in general, such as Vitamin D3 especially in winter, and things which might be depleted by other drugs or conditions (B12), or locally short (selenium or iodine), and Benfotiamine (related to B1) which may also be of use with neuropathy and other conditions, and lastly Pantethine (NOT Pantothenic Acid) which is a precursor of B5 and is one of several non-statin ways to reduce cholesterol. Niacin may also help with this.

In general I go for food first (also see the Eat The Rainbow thread) to keep up my levels of vitamins antioxidants and bioflavinoids. Over time I've trialled a few things which appear to make absolutely no difference, so I assume they are things I am not deficient in.

Currently I have a salmon and spinach deficiency which I am about to make up . . .

mannasage

Hi guys:

Fairly new to the UK Diabetes board, & yes I'm a Yank! I actually prefer this board over some USA boards (restrictive rules about products that help us, & petty nonsense by a few folks who get their panties in a pinch when someone new says innocently that they're a D2, instead of the more fashionable T2, as if that makes one bit of difference.)

I'm also ANA/DSHEA Certified in alternative health & supplements since the mid '90's. Back then I had not been diagnosed as a T2, that didn't happen until 4, 5 yrs ago here in Florida. Yet I'm positive that my life-long asthma, hypertension & other metabolic imbances were in affect "Syndrome X," or the more accepted term of Metabolic Syndrome today.

Have any of you been able to reverse your T2 yet? My A1c was over 7.0 too often, w/7.2 being the high (although between testing, it must've been even higher IMHO). Today it's 6.0 flat! If I get down to 5.5 my Endo says that he'll cut my meds some. I once weighed in at 217lbs, but I'm 189lbs presently & still trying to lose more in a healthy manner. I'm using a metabolic formula from EcoNugenics for the past 4 months, & have re-ordered 4 more month's supply. This product is far less costly than the few RX I have to take, even with the insurance subsidy. I also play vigorous tennis 3X/4X a week & hit the gym when not playing tennis daily.

I'm open to some back & forth if any of you are interested, this disease is an epidemic here in the States, some of our new born have T2 at birth if you can believe that statistic!

A pleasure to finally find an open-minded forum at last,

Joe Severa (a/k/a MannaSage)

Trinkwasser

Have a look at the Success Stories thread: you'll find not a few.

IME (both personally and reading various other forums and newsgroups) while some supplements may have some effect it is a very small percentage of the improvement that can be gained through diet. ALA drops my numbers by 10 - 20 points, not eating cereal drops them by 100 points (don't forget over here our numbers are 1/18 of your US numbers though the A1c is the same)