Vitamin B Deficiency in Most Diabetics?

tubsmacker

I read this on a news type site and saw that there are valid references but cannot seem to find any reference to the subject on this site.

Has anyone heard about this topic and the work of the Diabetic research unit at Warwick University?

75 % of diabetics being deficient in Vitamin B1 sounds like a lot to me!

Odd methinks that no one seems to know about it.

The story is on this link (It's not a product or promotional site.)

http://www.bubblews.com/news/295092-75- ... arly-death

Your comments are awaited.
Nigel

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I'm type 2 diabetic and it's vitamin d I'm really low on I don't know if its linked with diabetes

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wrighty35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ditto - I too was found to be low on vitamin D (I'm type 1). Have always thought however that I might be low in vitamin b12 as have always been prone to virus's etc!

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too was diagnosed to have a vitamin D deficiency about 2months ago. I was put on Vit D supplements and I have another blood test next week so hopefully this will show an improvement ! Apparently it is quite common for diabetics.

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I was put on the vit d tablets but they made me feel so sick after I had taken them that I stopped

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone wanting to supplement with vit d should check with their GP because it can be dangerous for any one with a high serum calcium
CAROL

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
carty said:
Anyone wanting to supplement with vit d should check with their GP because it can be dangerous for any one with a high serum calcium
CAROL

While somehow it is 'common knowledge' that you can overdose on vitamin d, it's actually EXTREMELY rare and EXTREMELY hard to do. Vitamin D is actually an AMAZINGLY safe vitamin despite its fearsome reputation to cause toxicity.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Very many older people living at our latitude come out of the winter with a Vitamin D deficiency. Most of our Vit D is made by the action of sunlight on the cholesterol in the fat under our skin. I take 4800IU of Vit D3 every morning in winter (Oct - March), 2400IU daily all through the summer, and my Vit D levels are nicely just over the recommended range. The test is apparently quite expensive, so some surgeries can be awkward about it, but me and my nice practice nurse got our heads together and I got one, March 2012.

I also try to get as much sunlight as possible on my skin - legs & arms will do - during the warmer months. Last year I didn't get much; nor this year, so far!

Tubsmacker, you should get a Vit B levels check at your annual review - I do. Long-term use of Metformin can cause a deficiency. If they don't test for it, ask them to. You could also tweak your diet a bit to improve your intake. Brewer's yeast is the classic supplement; also nuts and liver. Google "Vitamin B in foods" for more info. Also Google "Vitamin D3" for some good articles. Read the synopses of the peer-reviewed scientific papers.

Viv 8)

Sameer

Good thread !!!

Setting my dose .....on novomix 30 !!!
Currently morning 10 units and before dinner 14 units
Will stick to this !!!
Sent using Ipad .

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone heard about this topic and the work of the Diabetic research unit at Warwick University?

75 % of diabetics being deficient in Vitamin B1 sounds like a lot to me!

Vitamin B1
The Warwick researchers and others continue to work on using Thiamine ie vitamin B1 as a supplement particularly in diabetic nepthropathy (kidney disease) . So for example they have conducted small trials on the use of thiamine supplementation and found a reduction in the amount of protein excreted in the urine and have continued to work on the possible mechanisms .
(I won't put in lots of links but you can check them out by looking up Naila Rabbani and Paul Thornalley)
However , I also found a a randomised, double blind trial conducted in the Netherlands using benfotiamine ( a synthetic derivative of thiamine (vitamin B1)). for 12 weeks that found no such improvement . They suggest that longer term trials might be necessary to find if it was effective.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2890365/

Other researchers have used thiamine ( particularly benfotiamine) for neuropathy. Again there are very mixed results . A Cochrane study in 2008 found
This review of 13 trials on diabetic and alcoholic peripheral neuropathy with a total of 741 participants showed only one study that suggested possible short-term benefit from eight-week treatment with benfotiamine (a derivative of vitamin B1) with slightly greater improvement in vibration perception threshold compared to placebo
A 2 year trial of benfotiamine found no benefit. 'Our findings suggest that high-dose benfotiamine (300 mg/day) supplementation over 24 months has no significant effects upon peripheral nerve function or soluble markers of inflammation in patients with type 1 diabetes'
They suggested that previous studies might have had an affect on symptom reduction rather than actual function. (I think that means pain, not sure)
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... l.pdf+html

There are lots and lots of trials so let's just say that whether vit B1 supplementation is beneficial or not is still being researched and debated.
HOWEVER :
the title of the thread is Vitamin B Deficiency in Most Diabetics? and vit B is more than one vitamin.
This report on Medscape (2010) is of a trial of high dose combined vitamin B6, B9 and B12 supplementation used in patients with advanced kidney disease. A deficiency in these vitamins is associated with raised homocysteine . Raised levels of this are asscociated with various conditions (including heart disease). The supplementation did achieve the expected lowering of homocysteine but there was also an unexpected accelerated decline in renal function and an increased number of vascular disease events.

The results are commented upon here by Thornalley and Rabbani (the Warwick researchers) who discuss the possible reasons and warn against lumping all B vitamins together.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/731177
Finally, clear discrimination of treatment with vitamin B6, B9 and B12 from other B-vitamins in titles, headlines, presentations and press releases, as well as in text of scientific reports, is required for clarity. 'B-vitamin therapy' is a catch-all, convenient phrase for a report title but can be misleading and lead to unnecessary concern in patients taking other B-vitamin supplements and in their carers. Of course, not all B-vitamins are the same.

(and indeed there are people for who need to supplement the vitamins used above: for example in anaemia some people require Vit B12 and diabetic women who wish to conceive are told to take vit B9 (folic acid) )

For what the various B vits do and what foods contain them see http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-m ... min-B.aspx

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take vitabiotics Diabetone and interestingly I knew it was high in both Chromium and Vitamin D, but just checked the pack and over 2000% of the r.d.a for vitamin B1: Its "highest" component.

Sameer

Vitamin b injections give me good energy for the whole week !!
The tablets don't !!!

Setting my dose of novomix 30 !!

LittleWolf

I know the thread title is Vitamin B but I am undiagnosed with regard to Diabetes however have an 'extreme' vitamin D deficiency. I don't like the sun but was told after spending a summer in Trinidad :/ Google confirms a link between diabetes, immune disorders and Vitamin D. Was thinking of mentioning that to the doctor.

Isn't Marmite high in B Vitamins? Yummy.

tubsmacker

Yes the thread is about Vit B1 deficiency in Diabetics. I don't object to people discussing Vit D deficiency here but a separate thread could make like easier for those seeking info on that as In think the Vit B debate will go on for some time.

Phoenix. Your comments on Benfotiamine are to be taken in context with what the researchers say bout it as follows.

"One of the issues causing confusion has been failure of so-called lipid-soluble thiamine or Benfotiamine in clinical trials. The explanation is that Benfotiamine is not lipid soluble and it needs removal in the body of modifier called an ester to act as a source of thiamine. Although Benfotiamine worked in diabetic rats it did not in people and this may be because people remove the modifying group much slower than rats. So thiamine is better than Benfotiamine in people."

Apparantly, at least 50mg of Vitamin B1 (thiamine) would be required to replace the loss through diabetic washout.
I'm not sure how much you will get from eating Marmite soldiers guys, but Holland and Barrett are selling 100mg tablets at £3.70 or so for 100 tablets. Also my GP is happy to prescribe them on a free prescription basis given what I have said about the research.
:)
Nigel.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apple cider vinegar works by adjusting body pH which can help to prevent fungal overgrowth. You can drink it diluted to taste to combat gut fungi and /or as a douche diluted with warm water to fight the Candida fungi in and around your vagina.
Another very popular thrush remedy is raw garlic. Garlic has strong antifungal properties. Eat every day to take care of the fungi in your gut, and crush into a paste to coat the affected area, including the vagina, to fight the fungi there.:smile:

kellibabi

Oooooh, I wouldn't be putting crushed garlic on skin 'down there' - especially if it's a bit sore :(.

You could try something called 'balanceactiv' - 7 tubes in a box with a neutral PH gel you insert to help balance out any 'nasties'.
I used to get thrush a LOT & it drove me mad.
I started using this - 1 per day for a week & now just once or twice a week.

Haven't had an attack for about 3 months :) yay!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it could go carnage and I take your point.:lol:
Works though! If a little crazy.
Try apple cider vinegar first. Orally mind !:)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hate testing so much each day.
Hi, I am type 2 on isulan for the last 20 years and for 15 years I have a vitamin B deficiency and receive a vitamin B12 injection every 4 weeks I have always been told that it was connected to my diabetes but I agree that other ailments may cause this deficiency like under active thyroid zproblems