Vitamin B12 Injection

colrow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got on good terms with a locum GP in Ireland, I was tired all the time,and she told me that my B12 reading was bouncing along the bottom of the normal range, so she said I needed Vitamin B12 injections initially 3 monthly, I've since found out that after 8 weeks I really start to slow down again, so I have them every 8 weeks now. Also I take Formic Acid 5mg a day, because my intrinsic factor has stopped working.

Not Formic Acid I meant Folic acid lol. Has anyone else been prescribed this, what are the pro's and cons ?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Colrow,
Am replying in the hope that this post gets noticed higher up the forum.
I do know that B12 and folic acid are used to treat anemia. Have you been diagnosed with this?

I also know that some people require B12 injections after they have been on Metformin for a few years.
If no one else replies it would be worth you sending a PM to Katharine as she has the expertise that you need.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Catherine.

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i have a friend who has to have the B12 injections not linked to anaemia or anything else just her body can't absorb it

when she has them regularly she bounces around but you know when they are running dry as well as she gets lethargic etc, no connection to diabetes in her case

ally5555

If you have been diagnosed with pernicious anaemia you will be lacking what is known as the Intrinsic Factor.
Intrinsic factor is a glycoprotein produced by the parietal cells of the stomach. It is necessary for the absorption of vitamin B12 later on in the terminal ileum.

If you do not produce it you cannot absorb B12 - hence the injections of B12!

Katharine

Folic acid is water soluble so you will pee out any excess of it. Are you on metformin?

If you have pernicious anaemia you will need to stay on the vit b12 jags for life.

If the b 12 deficiency is purely due to metformin it usually reverses when you stop the metformin.

As metformin is such a helpful medication for diabetics this decision has to be considered carefully. There is no problem about just taking the metformin tabs for the diabetes and the b 12 jags to deal with the vitamin deficiency.

ally5555

tbh if you have perniciuos anaemia then you are lacking what is known as the intrinsic factor so u need b12 by injection and what ever you take by mouth will have no effect