1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vitamin D levels changed in US

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Cowboyjim, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Cowboyjim

Cowboyjim · Well-Known Member

2. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cool. I've been taking hi dose Vit. D for a while now - glad to see that the austhorities are realising how woefully short of the mark previous recommendations were.

3. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How high a dose do you take? I have been considering taking it but am not certain . I have quite a high calcium in my blood and have read that taking high vit D can cause problems
    CAROL.

4. cugila

cugila · Master

Carol.

The FSA offers this advice regarding Vit D. I have however read that much higher doses can be beneficial. Personally if I am not shown to be deficient in something.......I don't need any more of it ! Have a read for yourself.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/n ... /vitamind/

5. Patch

I take 2x10,000iu a day. (20,000iu).

20,000iu is approx. 0.5mg (500mcg).

6. Cowboyjim

I should have said part of the reason why I posted this is that the DN mentioned metformin possibly giving me a Vit B deficiency problem... would have to blood test for it in 5 years so don't forget to remind me she said.... :lol:
    She did not say I should crank up my Vit B12 intake tho... doesn't matter how much you take if the phys isn't taking it up. Whaaat?! 8)

Hmmm anyone know owt about this? 8)

Dunno about Vit D tho...

Just read some of the comments underneath that article in particular...

7. cugila

cugila · Master

I was diagnosed with a Vit B12 deficiency earlier this year as a result of a full blood count I had.

Upshot is I am now taking Cyanocobalamin tabs daily to keep the levels up. There is also a course of injections which I declined as I didn't want any more jabs than I have to...... :(

I now have periodic checks, every 3 months but even before the deficiency was noticed I was having a routine B12 check every 6 mths. The protocol in my own practice is that if you are on Metformin you should be tested for B12 at least annually.........so 5 yrs seems a very odd time to wait ?? Mine came on within 6 mths !

Here is a copy of the protocol.........

8. cugila

cugila · Master

Professor of foods and nutrition, James C. Fleet, from Purdue University, said:

Prof Fleet also said this:
    Having read much about this before in relation to Vit D I wonder if Patch you discussed this supplement with anybody before deciding to go with it ? The level that you have quoted as taking is way above even these newer guidelines - you are taking 20,000 iu's daily as compared to the recommended - no more than 4,000 iu's. Is this what you were recommended to do. Seems way OTT to me. The implication of taking higher doses of Vit D might have unknown consequences for the levels of Calcium and Phosphorous in your body. They are both essential for many things.......

Many things to consider when thinking about high dose Vitamin D supplements.

9. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I was officially diagnosed by hospital as having B12 deficiency 6 years ago with a level of 159.

I was given 3 monthly jabs up until November last year when my new GP refused anymore and said I was not deficient and didn't need B12 injections.

12 months on, I still ask for my B12 to be tested and my levels have consistently stayed at 670+. I have absolutely no idea how I could be declared with pernicious anaemia 6 years ago, and undiagnosed, as I was told I would need injections for the rest of my life. what made my levels dip and what has kept them raised now I haven't got a clue.

The overwhelming tiredness and forgefulness and pain I suffer is still present from 7 years+ ago, and this July it was officially rediagnosed as fibromyalgia. This was all put down to B12 previously. They thought I had dementia at 40, which is why the hospital started to check B12.

I wish I knew what caused my levels to drop and what has caused them to stay consistently high now......

10. Cowboyjim

Fascinating stuff on b12... seems to me anyone starting on met might be due for consideration of their B12 status in some way.
    Reading more about this it is also more a concern for vegans. Or those who eat less meat, cheese etc for dietary reasons.
    Blimey it is all so complicated and getting worse.... 8)

11. cugila

cugila · Master

Going back to Vit D..........

I wonder if those taking much higher levels than advised of Vit D have read this from the
    Vit D Council........

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/treatment.shtml

So it seems that massive levels of Vit D have certain risks........ :|

12. Patch

I've looked into this looong before the above post - and 20,000iu is NO WHERE NEAR a toxic level for Vit. D. Also, I'm quite dark skinned (catch the sun very easily!).

I'm absolutely certain that the Vit. D I'm taking is having a positive effect on my health.

Source: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org

Vit. D council IS a great site - it's where you'll get a lot of good info. Another name to google re: Vit. D is Dr. Robert Young. Although he DOES sell Vit. d at high doses (50000iu!) he has published a great deal of info on the matter. (I don't use his products - for Vit. D, gel caps are the most easily absorbed).

13. cugila

cugila · Master

Glad to hear it's working for you.

Yes, we too have looked into the Vit D conundrum many times before. It's nothing new. We have had a few posts about it over a long period of time here. Most of the sites advocating such high levels are usually the ones that want to sell it to you........did you find out if you were deficient before you started taking it ?

We have seen what you posted about the amount required if you don't get any or much Sun.......the information about the upper limit is also from the Vitamin D Council. It is also the same as on many medical websites about Vit D. Strange how they would say you need so much in one place, then would tell us about the upper limit in another area ?

So long as you and other Members are aware what the actual medical recommendations are we can only hope that the people recommending much higher levels are not storing up trouble for themselves and others. We would hate to think it may be harmful for anybody....... :(

I hope it is doing you some good at those levels you quoted which are way above what is considered normal. Toxicity can and does occur. It's a medical fact, as to when that happens.....anybody's guess I suppose. :(

We like to be even handed. :)

Not sure if you have ever read this one about Vit D supplementation and Toxicity.......

The only thing I would say is if considering Vit D supplements get a test to see if you need it.....then make sure that you are monitored to avoid overdosing which according to this paper can occur at doses of 20,000 iu daily. Not my words Patch. The words of Krispin Sullivan considered to be the world's foremost expert on the relationship between vitamin D and human health.

http://drbenkim.com/articles-vitamind.html

14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

15. cugila

cugila · Master

It all depends where you look Nigel. The people who are selling it tell you one level is good, the 'experts' tell you another level is good.........however nearly all agree that the much higher levels that some sites advocate can be detrimental to your health.

It just goes to show that you sometimes need to do plenty of research about supplements before taking the plunge........don't just read all the hype.

It's the same old story, tell you everybody is deficient in something....with no proof.....tell you you need to take it......no evidence.......then tell you about what it cures.......no proof........then cut to the chase.......BUY from me......BUY my Book ! I know, I shouldn't be so cynical....... :wink:

16. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Very true Ken! :roll:

The following should make people sit-up and think taken from the article I posted:

''Very high levels of Vitamin D (above 10,000IUs per day) are known to cause kidney and tissue damage''.

Nigel

17. cugila

cugila · Master

That's right. The same info was in what I posted before, trouble is even though that is what is consistently mentioned about the Toxicity issue.......you will always get those who think if it is good for me at 'x' dose it must be 5 times better for me if I take '5 times x' dose.

If you recall when I was given anti-Cancer drugs at the right dose they were good for me. When they inadvertently doubled the dose of the same drug........it nearly crippled me. God knows what that would have done to me long term. :(

Same with all these supplements........my view. An aid to deciding if they are needed.

a) Do you have a deficiency .......have you been tested.
    b) Will a supplement help...........evidence for that.
    c) Is it on prescription...............will I get it free.
    d) Does it need monitoring while you take it........blood tests etc.

After that you are on your own, you make the choice after weighing up the advantages and disadvantages. The people who want you to buy and take their supplements are the equivalent of the 'Sales people' who prey on the weak and defenceless, the old, the infirm, the gullible. Those who don't know enough about the subject so believe all they are told........I mean, these people advising you are 'experts' aren't they ? It's only later that you realise all is not what it seems.......that you have been ripped off ! :(

You may be lucky and see a difference, however there are many out there who get no benefit whatsoever. Better to know from both side of the argument than just the blinkered one we sometimes see.......

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook