1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vitamin deficiency caused by metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by chrisdoh1983, Feb 4, 2015.

1. chrisdoh1983

chrisdoh1983 Type 2 · Active Member

Hello,

I take 500mg metformin x4 daily and was yesterday prescribed 80mg Gliclazide to try bring my levels down. I forgot to ask the nurse if there are vitamins I should be taking? I've heard that metformin reduces your B-12 levels?

2. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Not for everyone , I had my b12 injections years before learning I was diabetic , for malabsorption problems
    You can always ask for a blood test from GP if you have iron or B12 problems

You say you have heard , very different from knowing ....best wishes ...Kat

• Like Like x 2
  3. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is common for people on metformin to go low on B12 but it takes a while. On the other hand it isn't uncommon to go low on B12 anyway with advancing middle age.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Many causes any worries ...do seek medical advise ...kat

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook