Vitamin supplements and what I did not know

Marsha.iow

I supplement my diet with various vitamin tablets and I am not sure whether it is just me or not but I didn't realise that most vitamin and mineral supplements are useless unless you take them with other vitamins and minerals :shock: :oops:

I was reading through Miriam Stoppard's Menopause book when I came across a section 'what you need to make vitamin and mineral supplements work'. Some examples:

Vit C appears to protect against heart disease and speed up wound healing - BUT NOT WITHOUT - bioflavanoids, calcium and magnesium at the same time.

Calcium is crucial for strong bones - BUT NO GOOD WITHOUT - Vits A, C, D and F; essential fatty acids, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus.

Essential fatty acids are important for energy and brain health - BUT THEY NEED - Vits A. C. E and vitamin D to work effeciently.

There are more listed, so back to the drawing board me thinks (and Holland and Barratt!) as I divide the supplements I take throughout the day :roll:

I do so hope that I am not the only person who didn't realise......

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Why not save your money, ditch the supplements and all the 'stuff' they tell you you must also take.
Don't fill the pocket's of the purveyors of this stuff. They get rich, you get poorer !

Make sure you have a balanced healthy diet and you should find you get all the vitamins and minerals you need, unless there is a specific medical reason why you are deficient in certain vitamins and minerals.

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Marsha,

Unsure about having to take vitamins with vitamins, but I was always told to take them before eating. :?

Nigel

BC_minded

True. I suggest you stick with just a multivitamins and have your balanced diet and a regular exercise. It not only prevent you form illness, it also strengthens your immune system and keeps you fit for the same time. :D

crowjon

I was vaguely aware of this aspect of vitamin use, thanks for bringing it into perspective. I regularly take a multi-oil capsule each day to keep the old heart and joints working but that is all. Apart from the oils I do take an overdose of pure Vit C for a couple of days(not the chemical ersatz stuff) when I have a bad cold or flu to boost the immune system and it works (for me). However be aware of the negative effects of VIT C if taken regularly long term I have tried other products, e.g. Ginko Biloba, off and on over the years to see if they make any difference to my T2 diabetes, and to be honest they do not seem to have any affect at all. However, playing around with my own dietry intake and exercise I have made an improvement. . Hope this helps.

If anyone has experience or knowledge of Reiki or Spiritual healing in relation to Diabetes, would they please let me know through this Forum please. Many thanks

Tacemarie

I am a Reiki Healer and teacher. So I manage to give my self Reiki most days. It not only helps with my stress levels( due to day job) but it does keep my readings down :) . I just love the peace that it gives to me and it helps with my leg pains. I do notice the diffrence onthe days that I don't treat myself. Maybe it's just a state of mind think, but hay if it works, dont knock it.

jane22

I tend not to use supplements, hoping a balanced diet will do. However I am wondering about my diet now and thinking perhaps I should consider something. I am a Byetta user and since going to the 10 dose I eat so very little. I just can't manage much without feeling very bloated. I eat the most nutritious food I can - oily fish, lean meats and under cooked or raw veg and salads with a splash of olive oil also 1 small egg a day and a plain yogurt. I try to add some carbs to my diet as I believe that with Byetta you need a few. So I have a slice of bread made with oats and a few tiny new potoatoes in skins and a couple of bits of fruit, usually berries. I do the bed time thing with a cube of cheese and an oatcake. Anyway as I said it's all tiny portions. I totted up my calorie intake for a few days and really 1000 to 1100 calories is all I can manage. I am losing weight and I need to so that's fine. My BG's have come down to within NICE guidelines. I do feel a bit tired though and can't help wondering if I am low on anything. I shall bring this up with the dietician but I'm not seeing her until September. So have any Byetta users been told to take any supplements? Do any of you take them anyway?

ShyGirl

A balanced diet is best but if you know you aren't following one for whatever reasons then there's nothing wrong with taking supplements as long as you know you are deficient

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jane22 said:
I tend not to use supplements, hoping a balanced diet will do. However I am wondering about my diet now and thinking perhaps I should consider something. I am a Byetta user and since going to the 10 dose I eat so very little. I just can't manage much without feeling very bloated. I eat the most nutritious food I can - oily fish, lean meats and under cooked or raw veg and salads with a splash of olive oil also 1 small egg a day and a plain yogurt. I try to add some carbs to my diet as I believe that with Byetta you need a few. So I have a slice of bread made with oats and a few tiny new potoatoes in skins and a couple of bits of fruit, usually berries. I do the bed time thing with a cube of cheese and an oatcake. Anyway as I said it's all tiny portions. I totted up my calorie intake for a few days and really 1000 to 1100 calories is all I can manage. I am losing weight and I need to so that's fine. My BG's have come down to within NICE guidelines. I do feel a bit tired though and can't help wondering if I am low on anything. I shall bring this up with the dietician but I'm not seeing her until September. So have any Byetta users been told to take any supplements? Do any of you take them anyway?

I use Byetta......now reduced to the 5ug because of constant hypo's ! I have had full blood counts done and found to be deficient in Vit B12. I now take a daily prescribed tab of Cyanocobalamin rather than spending my money on supplements which may not be as effective ?

I have never been told to take any supplements because I am on Byetta as I am not deficient in any Vitamins other than the one mentioned.

I do take a daily multi vitamin, always have. Even before I was a Diabetic. :D