vitamins and minerals

TuTusweet

I take one "Cod liver oil and multivitamins" capsule every day. We were told they have been replaced by "A-Z complete 50+ vitamins and minerals."
Apart from containing ten additional chemicals the packet says diabetics should consult their doctor before taking them.
The chemicals are calcium, magnesium,iron, zinc, manganese, selenium, chromium,molybdenum, iodine,lutein. Six of these are 100 per cent of Nutrient Reference Value, whatever that is. The A-Z complete 50+ stuff is completely absent from the Boots website.
Before I waste my time asking my GP can anyone here throw some light on this please.
Thank you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't think GPs would have a clue to be honest.... They certainly only know the eat well plate the NHS advise and would not be able to advise unless you had deficiencies showing with Iron or B12 or D3.

Have you analysed your own diet usung myfitnesspal or adding up your own dietary food to see if you need mutli vitamins?

I take over 50's multi vitamin, D3 (despite being outdoors so much) garlic tablet, omega 3 suplements on days when I do not have oily fish or salads. I also take magnesium separately and plant sterols. I am 52.

I also eat only natural, healthy food..no processed foods except milk or butter or feta cheese.

My GPs wouldn't know healthy eating or vitamins if they come up and bit them on their bum's..so I have to analyse my own health.

GP's are only Generally Practicing Medicine... We, the patients are their guinea pigs as far as I'm concerned...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you are asking.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree most GPs wouldn't have a clue or would give you their (invalid?) personal opinion and as for dieticians.... Since being diagnosed I have seen endless notices in public areas warning you if you are a diabetic to avoid whatever. Generally these are stupid and assume you have very poor blood sugar control. I know of no reason why a diabetic with reasonable control shouldn't have the same vitamin supplements as anyone else. We are not ill but have a specific 'condition'.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I take one "Cod liver oil and multivitamins" capsule every day. We were told they have been replaced by "A-Z complete 50+ vitamins and minerals."
Apart from containing ten additional chemicals the packet says diabetics should consult their doctor before taking them.
The chemicals are calcium, magnesium,iron, zinc, manganese, selenium, chromium,molybdenum, iodine,lutein. Six of these are 100 per cent of Nutrient Reference Value, whatever that is. The A-Z complete 50+ stuff is completely absent from the Boots website.
Before I waste my time asking my GP can anyone here throw some light on this please.
Thank you
If you want to take this product, I guess I don't see any great harm... they have probably put that bit about diabetics on there because someone once had a problem with it and they don't want to be sued.

I haven't seen any robust scientific evidence that anyone needs to take multivitamins, and the scientific evidence suggests that for the most part, only people with certain medical reasons or a deficiency that shows up in blood testing need to take a vitamin or mineral supplement. (If anyone would like to challenge this view, I would be more convinced by peer reviewed journal articles than websites with people's opinions about supplements.)

Some of these vitamins and minerals are dangerous in large amounts.

These are the sorts of things that doctors know about vitamins and minerals, and this is why it is a good idea to discuss with your doctor all the products you take, whether they are prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, herbal supplements, vitamins, minerals, or other supplements. Some conditions that can be made worse by taking non-drug products, and these products can also interact with drugs and cause problems.

This is a good research-based source of information about supplements:
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(If anyone would like to challenge this view, I would be more convinced by peer reviewed journal articles than websites with people's opinions about supplements.)
I don't agree, but I have no intention of trawling through scientific literature just on your say so. I'm not challenging your opinion - I'm exercising my right to disagree and have no interest in changing your mind on the subject or convincing you of anything.

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I don't agree, but I have no intention of trawling through scientific literature just on your say so. I'm not challenging your opinion - I'm exercising my right to disagree and have no interest in changing your mind on the subject or convincing you of anything.
Lol, that's fine. Just sayin', if people try to tell me x product works because y website says so, I won't believe them, and I suspect others would be the same. I'm not trying to change your mind either. We all have different levels of evidence that we accept.