Vitamins and minerals

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm using Myfitnesspal and logging all the foods I eat but never really got to grips with all the other stuff on there until the other day when I found that under "Reports" there is a drop down menu, under "Weight" that calculates your Potassium, Cholesterol, Vitamin A, C, etc. and I was shocked to learn that even taking a Multivitamin every day I am way below the daily guidelines for everything :( I thought I was eating healthily with all the meat, eggs, fish, yogurts and vegetables and no junk food so where am I going wrong?

Do I need to be taking more supplements? Can anyone advise please? I've got a lousy cold at the moment that won't seem to shift after over a weak and if my body is depleted in all these essentials then it's probably not surprising. I've trawled the internet for foods that supply what I seem to be lacking but I'm already eating the stuff that they advise, or I don't like it :(

My Potassium levels seem to be practically non existent according to MFP. Even Avocados don't seem to make much difference to the readings.

I really need some advice please as I'm worried that I'm not getting the vital nutrients.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry too much about what MFP says, all entries are for everything are put in by people like me and you so you are relying on people putting all the nutrients in, I never do when I put a food in I can't find or find a inaccurate entry. The most I put in is the calories, carbs, fats and sugars.

It sounds like your diet is pretty well balanced for your nutrients, maybe be a bit short of vitamin D, but most people in the UK are! I don't take any supplements even though I don't have a lot of dairy because I don't like it things like broccoli have just as much calcium as milk so like I say you are probably getting everything you need and the cold is just bad luck - hope you feel better soon

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry too much about what MFP says, all entries are for everything are put in by people like me and you so you are relying on people putting all the nutrients in, I never do when I put a food in I can't find or find a inaccurate entry. The most I put in is the calories, carbs, fats and sugars.

It sounds like your diet is pretty well balanced for your nutrients, maybe be a bit short of vitamin D, but most people in the UK are! I don't take any supplements even though I don't have a lot of dairy because I don't like it things like broccoli have just as much calcium as milk so like I say you are probably getting everything you need and the cold is just bad luck - hope you feel better soon

Thank you - that's reassuring xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would tend to agree with @lovinglife - Even if one uses packaging to input nutritional data in MFP, that doesn't necessarily cover absolutely all the micro nutrients.

I have to say, I've never taken a supplement in my life, aside from the odd couple of weeks of Echinacea to fend off a cold or virus, as I believe I eat pretty well, my bloods have never shown any deficiencies and bone density tests a while ago (relating to a hormonal issue at the time) showed better than average density for my age.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @lovinglife and @AndBreathe - if you're eating a good varied diet, you should be OK.

Food for thought( :D):
  • You've lived a pretty long life so far - were you fussing over vitamins and minerals previously, did you feel you were lacking in them pre diabetes? If not, why now?
  • And since Myfitnesspal apparently relies on user input for its information, it's definitely not the best source to rely on for accurate data, so don't!
Hope you're feeling better soon.

Robbity

PS Years ago I used to take vitamin C as I believed it would help prevent colds, and I didn't get any... When I retired I stopped taking it and 13 years on I still don't get any. :wideyed::p I do get various bugs/viruses, but not a single cold...

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @lovinglife and @AndBreathe - if you're eating a good varied diet, you should be OK.

Food for thought( :D):
  • You've lived a pretty long life so far - were you fussing over vitamins and minerals previously, did you feel you were lacking in them pre diabetes? If not, why now?
  • And since Myfitnesspal apparently relies on user input for its information, it's definitely not the best source to rely on for accurate data, so don't!
Hope you're feeling better soon.

Robbity

PS Years ago I used to take vitamin C as I believed it would help prevent colds, and I didn't get any... When I retired I stopped taking it and 13 years on I still don't get any. :wideyed::p I do get various bugs/viruses, but not a single cold...

• Maybe because I was eating a lot of fortified cereals and bananas.
  • Yes, I have taken that on board from a previous post
Thank you x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Multivitamins are not needed because eating a variety of veges, meat and dairy products is usually enough. Next time you are getting blood tests done, ask them to test for vitamins D and B12, iron, folate, and electrolytes (which will pick up a potassium deficiency). It's better to supplement with individual vitamins and minerals when needed. Vitamin D deficiency is so common in countries like the UK that people can take a supplement without a test. However, Vitamin D supplements may be free on a prescription after a test so that may be a better path to go down.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I take a good multi mineral and vit, an additional vit D and an Omega fish oil supplement. The fish oil supplement helps keep the arthritis in my knees, neck, fingers and hips just about to a level I can cope with, I started with the vit D because I used to work permanent nights and could go a week without seeing any sunshine and recently heard that in the UK we don't get enough Vit D from the sun for 8-9 months of the year. The multi mineral and vit is my insurance policy against any shortfalls in my diet.