vitamins,glucosamine and cod liver oil

rolyatluap

Hi

Just looking to see if anyone uses the above for there joints and general wellbeing.I am training alot trying to get weight and reading down but I have noticed my knees are sore from time to time.I think this is down to years of sports and was advised these would be good for the joints but he is not a proffessional and I was wondering if they are ok to take with metaformin.Also can type 2 diabetics take vitamins ??

Thanks
paul

:D

Feebiecat

Hiya

Sorry to hijack your post but I have a similar query...my friend's brother is a physiotherapist and informed me the right thing to take is 1500mg per day Glucosamine and 400mg Chondroitin. Apparantly this combination is scientifically proven and fish oils are not yet.

Does anybody know if fish oils are any good for joints? I hope the answer is yes as I would rather buy them than glucosamine as they are a lot cheaper!

Thanks
Feebs
x

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Rolyatluap,

I take a daily multi vitamin tablet,1/2 a dispersable asprin and a cod liver oil tablet for my general well being on top of metformin. I always take them whilst eating meals and never all together as i don't wish to overwhelm or stress my stomach or system.

I feel great, have no aches or stiffnes that i used to have (particularly my knees) and my BG is well under control. Mind you I have lost nearly 5 stone as well so it may just be less strain on my joints.

Can't say if the vitamin tabs do any good but they are relatively cheap from tesco - they do good offers from time to time 3 for the price of 2 etc. I thought why not give anything a try if its potentially going to contribute to a healthier life.

Carl

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul,

I take both glucosamine and a high strength cod liver oil as recommended by my gp who also takes them both, my advice would be to check with your own gp before taking these supplements, more-so when you are taking prescription medication such as metformin.

Do I believe that they help my joints etc?......................absolutely yes!

Nigel

barge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have just been on a diabetic course and we were told not to take glucosamine or cod liver oil but i would consult my doctor if i was going to take it. :roll:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I take metf x3 daily
I started taking glucosamine years ago for tennis elbow - I ran out last year & soon had joint problems - so I keep taking it. Its not expensive.
I also take a multi-vitamin-mineral supplement, & a fish oil supplement - whether they 'work' or not I don't know, but I stay healthy.
I've had complications from the DUK diet, not taking glucosamine, simvastatin, & niacin.
Low carbing is a useful panacea.

Heart, circulation & eye checks report no adverse effects, kidney function (GFR) is slightly reduced (64) but has been stable since low carbing. Dr is happy with my health, & so am I. Even my brain & bowels are functioning, despite DUK's warning, & my tennis is still club standard, despite the crippling effects of DUK's high carb diet which I followed for 8 years.

chik

Feebiecat said:
Hiya

Sorry to hijack your post but I have a similar query...my friend's brother is a physiotherapist and informed me the right thing to take is 1500mg per day Glucosamine and 400mg Chondroitin. Apparantly this combination is scientifically proven and fish oils are not yet.

Does anybody know if fish oils are any good for joints? I hope the answer is yes as I would rather buy them than glucosamine as they are a lot cheaper!

Thanks
Feebs
x

hi! good day i would like to answer your question about fish oils are good for the joints.. you know i would say no. it is not good for the joints although it is good for the heart. fish oils have a lot of omega 3., omega 3 is a vitamins that we get from the fish and it is good for the heart and fish oil is a good cholesterol and it is not effective like glucosamine because fish are proteins,