1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

vitamins,glucosamine and cod liver oil

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by rolyatluap, Aug 18, 2010.

1. rolyatluap

rolyatluap · Member

Hi

Just looking to see if anyone uses the above for there joints and general wellbeing.I am training alot trying to get weight and reading down but I have noticed my knees are sore from time to time.I think this is down to years of sports and was advised these would be good for the joints but he is not a proffessional and I was wondering if they are ok to take with metaformin.Also can type 2 diabetics take vitamins ??

Thanks
    paul

:D

2. Feebiecat

Feebiecat · Active Member

Hiya

Sorry to hijack your post but I have a similar query...my friend's brother is a physiotherapist and informed me the right thing to take is 1500mg per day Glucosamine and 400mg Chondroitin. Apparantly this combination is scientifically proven and fish oils are not yet.

Does anybody know if fish oils are any good for joints? I hope the answer is yes as I would rather buy them than glucosamine as they are a lot cheaper!

Thanks
    Feebs
    x

3. theblokefromstoke

theblokefromstoke · Well-Known Member

Hi Rolyatluap,

I take a daily multi vitamin tablet,1/2 a dispersable asprin and a cod liver oil tablet for my general well being on top of metformin. I always take them whilst eating meals and never all together as i don't wish to overwhelm or stress my stomach or system.

I feel great, have no aches or stiffnes that i used to have (particularly my knees) and my BG is well under control. Mind you I have lost nearly 5 stone as well so it may just be less strain on my joints.

Can't say if the vitamin tabs do any good but they are relatively cheap from tesco - they do good offers from time to time 3 for the price of 2 etc. I thought why not give anything a try if its potentially going to contribute to a healthier life.

Carl

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Paul,

I take both glucosamine and a high strength cod liver oil as recommended by my gp who also takes them both, my advice would be to check with your own gp before taking these supplements, more-so when you are taking prescription medication such as metformin.

Do I believe that they help my joints etc?......................absolutely yes!

Nigel

5. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

6. barge

barge Type 2 · Active Member

i have just been on a diabetic course and we were told not to take glucosamine or cod liver oil but i would consult my doctor if i was going to take it. :roll:

7. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take metf x3 daily
    I started taking glucosamine years ago for tennis elbow - I ran out last year & soon had joint problems - so I keep taking it. Its not expensive.
    I also take a multi-vitamin-mineral supplement, & a fish oil supplement - whether they 'work' or not I don't know, but I stay healthy.
    I've had complications from the DUK diet, not taking glucosamine, simvastatin, & niacin.
    Low carbing is a useful panacea.

Heart, circulation & eye checks report no adverse effects, kidney function (GFR) is slightly reduced (64) but has been stable since low carbing. Dr is happy with my health, & so am I. Even my brain & bowels are functioning, despite DUK's warning, & my tennis is still club standard, despite the crippling effects of DUK's high carb diet which I followed for 8 years.

8. chik

chik · Newbie

hi! good day i would like to answer your question about fish oils are good for the joints.. you know i would say no. it is not good for the joints although it is good for the heart. fish oils have a lot of omega 3., omega 3 is a vitamins that we get from the fish and it is good for the heart and fish oil is a good cholesterol and it is not effective like glucosamine because fish are proteins,

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook