Vitrectomy next week- terrified

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had I think three vitreous haemorrhages in my right eye over the last seven months, two minor and the last severe. As my proliferative retinopathy problem has been ongoing for about 18 months (and of course every time I have a bleed it stops the laser treatment) I've been scheduled for a vitrectomy next Thurs and I have to go in Mon for a pre- op injection. Never had to have an injection into the eyeball before and it's scary. Calm me down a bit please!! thabks Ian

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Ian,

Are you sure the pre-op injection is in the eye? I had the vitrectomy operation around 12 years ago and didn't get a injection in the eye, they did the pre-op checks a few days before and on the day had a general anaesthetic that was administered through a cannula on the back of my hand.

Although you can't help but worry you shouldn't panic too much, the Ophthalmologists doing these operations are extremely experienced and will likely speak with you before going down to surgery, you won't know anything about the operation until you come round in recovery, from memory it took around 2 months to fully recover from the operation.

You may have seen the following before but it explains what happens during a vitrectomy operation:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/vitreous_hemorrhage.html#v

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that.

Apparently I'm having a Lucentis injection on Mon, which is something my consultant does with all his diabetic patients.

And apparently I'm only having a local for the vitrectomy.

cheers
Ian

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for that.

Apparently I'm having a Lucentis injection on Mon, which is something my consultant does with all his diabetic patients.

And apparently I'm only having a local for the vitrectomy.

cheers
Ian

Right, not had the Lucentis injection done before but I'll tag someone who may have @himtoo

Anyway good luck and hope it all works out well, keeps us updated on your progress.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Right, not had the Lucentis injection done before but I'll tag someone who may have @himtoo

Anyway good luck and hope it all works out well, keeps us updated on your progress.
good morning i to am to have this treatment done (just waiting for the date) i am also nervous , could you please let me now how you get on thanks

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
good morning i to am to have this treatment done (just waiting for the date) i am also nervous , could you please let me now how you get on thanks

Paul (himtoo) may be on a break as he hasn't been on the forum since Jan 5, I'm sure once he see's your post he will reply.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
All done. Op was very weird because only had a local and you can see stuff happening inside your eye, like the fluid swirling around as they flush out the blood, but no pain. Lasted about an hour and a quarter. Luckily my retina did not detach and less laser required than might have been. They put a little tent over your head with a hole in it to operate through so that's all you can see. I sort of tried to go into a semi-meditative state and it went fairly quickly. Uncomfortable night, found it difficult to sleep with the eyepatch on. Patch removed this am and now have FOUR different sorts of eyedrops to put in for nect few weeks. Eye blurry and some double vision but that will settle. Can actually see through it for the first time in five months! Would prefer not to have to go through that again, but would be less nervous about it if I have to have my left eye done too.

Reactions: 8 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

hi there -- I think I am replying about having lucentis injections ( sorry if I have missed the direction of the topic)
I can't say they were an enjoyable experience and in my case did nothing to improve the edema in my eye.
but I have spoken to many at the eye clinic that have had them and seen good improvements in vision.