Vitrectomy

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.
How many times can you have a Vitrectomy done i know after the 1st time there remove the jelly and replace it with oil.
I have had this op done in my left eye but it failed.
Thanks for any replys

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not sure but we did have a member on here last year who said they had 3 or 4 Vitrectomy operations, asking at the Ophthalmology clinic would give you a definite answer.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I`m at the eye clinic tomorrow.. I`ll ask while I`m there as I`m probably at the end of all they do lasing wise and will report back if there's no further info posted in the mean time
Al

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
It was busy at my clinic too .. as usual and expected.
I queeried about the victrectomy and wasnst given a really clear answer but it would appear that it is possible for the op to be repeated but it depends on what was done previously ie if gas/air was used then oil can be tried, The oil needs to be removed approx 3 months after the victrectomy. My consultant didnt say that it definitely wasnt possible for the op to be repeated and my impression was the same as Noblehead in that it can be repeated.
Sorry I didnt get a clear answer for you kleef but eye doctors are always evasive in my experience :eh:
I would try to get an emergency appointment as youre worried and I`m sure that they get you squeezed in somewhere.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks ivinghoe really appreciate you asking, i find most docs never give you a straight answer, i wasnt worried i had my op several years ago but was told i could only have it once, maybe it has got sumat to do with the gas thing i will be asking tho.
Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App