Vomiting & the other

Leeds Lass

Hi

Quick one, my OH has tonight started vomiting and the rest and cannot keep anything down. I've just given him some sugar in water and he's had a rich tea biscuit but not sure it will stay down. Checked his blood and it was 6, so need to keep it round that reslly. Bit worried i'm not doing the right things.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope that your night wasn't too bad.
Read this sheet on what to do when someone is ill and has diabetes.
http://www.nottinghamdiabetes.nhs.uk/sickdays.html

As with anyone, its important also to keep hydrated.
The 'rules' suggest that you check for ketones. If your OH has got some ketone strips (either blood ones for his meter or urine strips) then test for ketones. If he has more than trace ketones then it would be best to seek medical advice. (if he hasn't any strips then you can buy them from a chemist). If his glucose rises and he can't keep anything down, If you are worried it's better to get medical advice sooner rather than later (easier during the day too) .

One thing I'd add to the bit about insulin doses, it states that it's just a guide and that some people may be on high doses and require more, the opposite also applies sometimes and some people on very low doses could require less.

Leeds Lass

Thanks for your reply. He stopped with the sickness etc last night about midnight, I made sure he had a couple of pints of water and 3 rich tea before we went upto bed. His sugar was 9.0 this morning and he feels alot better just aching a bit, i've left him on the sofa covered up with water and rich tea and coke to hand so he doesn't have to move much.

He had his background insulin this morning and his sugar is at 8, so he's just gonna sleep today and recover.

I just panic when he's ill, probably too much :)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I had exactly the same 17 months ago.
In MY case it was a blood clot that caused my non-funtioning pancreas to receive no blood supply and resulted in necrosis of 2 metres of bowel, that had to be removed via a laparoptomy.

This could be ANYTHING, it could be a bug. I would recommend medical guidance to be safe.

I was slow to react act first, but I was sick immediately as my body knew nothing would be processed via standard procedure as my bowel was blocked and just rejected ANYTHING.

I'm not qualifies to make any assumptions or diagnostics, this is purely my OWN experience. I had recurring symptoms recently and am worried it might be history repeating itself. I have an anti-coagulant appointment at 0935 tomorrow morning, where I will see what my blod clotting levels are like and will no doubt be re-dosed as I am every week.

Good luck for hubby, you don't have to listen to me, but better safe than sorry. Err on the side of caution.

Best wishes

Mart.