Type 2 Wait...what?...how Did That Happen?, Bg After Eating 90g + Carbs

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I fell off the wagon, badly.
Started the morning with FBG of 4.0, stayed on track until the evening when my son decided to go to Mc Donald’s - I had read on a thread here that (carb counter? Website) said a Big Mac without bun, was under 7 carbs. So I thought, why not?
Oops - I then craved some ice cream, so stupidly sat down with 2 pots of oppo ice cream,1 vanilla & 1 chocolate flavour and ate some straight from the pots - as so hard to spoon straight from the freezer, so I read newspaper while they were melting.
Before I knew it, I had devoured 1 whole pot of vanilla and 4/5 of the chocolate (about 90g carbohydrates!!!), omg how did that happen? Must have been distracted by reading?
Anyhow, completely freaked, took an extra metformin and proceeded to take intermittently blood glucose levels...

After a small glass of ff milk, but before eating burger etc... 5.3
1/2 later...4.2
1 hour...5.8
2 hours..4.8

Can’t believe it! How come it didn’t spike me? Anyone know?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No idea but the extra Metformin wouldn't have had a massive influence. Stick to the dosage you were prescribed. Metformin has a cumulative effect, it can't 'detect' carbs.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started the morning with FBG of 4.0, stayed on track until the evening when my son decided to go to Mc Donald’s - I had read on a thread here that (carb counter? Website) said a Big Mac without bun, was under 7 carbs. So I thought, why not?
Oops - I then craved some ice cream, so stupidly sat down with 2 pots of oppo ice cream,1 vanilla & 1 chocolate flavour and ate some straight from the pots - as so hard to spoon straight from the freezer, so I read newspaper while they were melting.
Before I knew it, I had devoured 1 whole pot of vanilla and 4/5 of the chocolate (about 90g carbohydrates!!!), omg how did that happen? Must have been distracted by reading?
Anyhow, completely freaked, took an extra metformin and proceeded to take intermittently blood glucose levels...

1/2 later...4.2
1 hour...5.8
2 hours..4.8

How long have you been ON the wagon? If it's for a while maybe your body has started to be able to manage carbs better because of improved sensitivity etc? If that is the case though, don't be tempted to jump off that wagon too often or you will end up under it's wheels!:)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only dangerous thing you did was take extra Metformin - it would not have affected your BG levels, but it might have triggered an unwanted reaction.
By sticking to a low carb diet I have reversed, negated my diabetes - but I have not got rid of the inability to cope with carbs long term. My numbers day by day are averaging normal-ish, but if I overate carbs on a regular basis then I'd start to regain weight and my ability to cope with carbs would diminish.
You have obviously reached a similar stage, but from the chart in the Dr Atkins book I tend to consult, a fit young male who is doing a lot of exercise might be able to lose weight at that level of carbs eaten daily, but it is the top of that range, and for most ordinary people less is not only advisable but necessary.

Reactions: Petaluk and Oldvatr

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

1/2 later...4.2
1 hour...5.8
2 hours..4.8

I'm guessing, if you've been on the wagon a while, your insulin response and/or insensitivity has improved. An excellent reason to keep going. ;)

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long have you been ON the wagon? If it's for a while maybe your body has started to be able to manage carbs better because of improved sensitivity etc? If that is the case though, don't be tempted to jump off that wagon too often or you will end up under it's wheels!:)
Since 12 April I’ve been following a 20g carb diet.
Only had 3 cheat meals since.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had similar readings - yesterday I had Lasagne (with pasta not courgettes as usual) and 2 pieces of garlic bread and after 2 hours my BG was 6.6 and down to 5.4 after 3 hours. I had similar last week when I had Chilli Con Carne with rice - although my BG was slightly higher as I seem to be able to tolerate pasta better than rice. However I am not ultra low carb and probably average 100g per day so not sure if this makes a difference.