Waiting on my hba1c, but blood sugar readings are high

JustmeGemmy

I’ve had 2 GD pregnancies, both of which were well controlled with diet (although the second was much harder & I had to cut out a lot of carbs, the diabetic team didn’t believe that I had GD a second time, it was a whole thing!)

My youngest is now almost 3yrs & my blood sugars have been creeping up. I have been feeling tired to my bones lately & did some finger pricks to see what was going on.

My morning readings have been around 7 consistently now for 4 days. My GP said she isn’t concerned because it’s under 11mmol/l. 7 is high for me. Normally I’m way below 6 in the morning, before breakfast. After meals has been between 8-10 2hrs after eating. Which I know isn’t a good sign.

Im waiting for a hba1c, but it’s not for a few weeks, so I’ve started eating low carb already. My meal readings are looking a bit better, mostly below 7.8 after 2hrs. But my morning one just won’t come down. Im also increasing my exercise & trying to go for a walk after each meal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With any luck being under 8 after meals will turn things around.
I stuck to the same menu once I saw numbers in the 7s and they drifted down to under 7 whenever I checked.
I never checked first thing, as there was nothing I could do to change them directly I saw no reason to test then.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had 2 GD pregnancies, both of which were well controlled with diet (although the second was much harder & I had to cut out a lot of carbs, the diabetic team didn’t believe that I had GD a second time, it was a whole thing!)

My youngest is now almost 3yrs & my blood sugars have been creeping up. I have been feeling tired to my bones lately & did some finger pricks to see what was going on.

My morning readings have been around 7 consistently now for 4 days. My GP said she isn’t concerned because it’s under 11mmol/l. 7 is high for me. Normally I’m way below 6 in the morning, before breakfast. After meals has been between 8-10 2hrs after eating. Which I know isn’t a good sign.

Im waiting for a hba1c, but it’s not for a few weeks, so I’ve started eating low carb already. My meal readings are looking a bit better, mostly below 7.8 after 2hrs. But my morning one just won’t come down. Im also increasing my exercise & trying to go for a walk after each meal.
Under 11 is considered normal for a random test. Does your dr realise this is not a random one? For a fasting one it should be under 5.5mmol to be normal (but this would usually be a blood draw not a fingerprick). Above 7mmol is considered diabetic https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html. Though it’s only a few days and other factors could be effecting you (illness, lack of sleep, covid vaccine etc) it’s wise that you are getting it checked and adapting your eating. Being cautious isn’t going to do any harm.