Waking with low blood sugar

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all. Since going onto the pump I've been following the 5:2 diet with some success. The only negative thing I've come across is that although I know my night time basal rates are correct (from lots of testing), I always wake up low the morning after a fasting day. There is obviously a connection between fasting/not fasting and night time bg as the morning after a non-fasting day my bg is normal, even if I don't eat carbs before bed. Last night my blood sugar was just below 4.0mmol at bedtime so I had roughly 15g carbs and did a negative 50% basal for 2 hours. Had a good night's sleep, woke up this morning at 2.8. Do you think that I should extend the time of my temp basal or do a greater reduction? Blood sugars rebounded (thanks liver dump!) and went to 21.9 2 hours after breakfast, now at 17.9 after a correction. I know that people say not to correct after a liver dump but it's just not sorting itself out. Have just done another small correction, as calculated by my pump - I'd quite like to get to single figures sometime TODAY!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not a pump user but will 'bump' your post up in the hope you get some replies.

iHs

Haven't done the 5:2 diet but have in the past done a 24hr fast and found that I needed a lot less basal than on normal days when eating. Not sure what the answer is but can only suggest that you use a TBR when you fast and keep yr bg up a bit higher

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, when having breakfast after fasting the previous day, your breakfast qa ratio will probably need adjusting and need much.more than usual. If I miss one meal I need 20~40% more qa for the next, depending on the gap. sometimes means having alot more qa than if I had ate something small and dosed for it, which makes it a bit counter productive

Kelsie

Be careful with the 5:2 diet, the research behind it is still not very conclusive and although it can provide a quick fix, as soon as you have achieved the weight you want and eat normal again you can put on almost double the weight you lost! This is because the days you fast, your body is confused and wonders why it's not receiving it's nutrients so then when you eat normal again it stores everything as fat as a reserve in case it is starved again and it's a very vicious cycle!! I work in a gym and have had dealt with at least 12 people who have fainted/collapsed who follow the 5:2 diet due to not being able to cope on just 500 calories on the two days- it shuts down the body and it was very scary to watch! Some were saying that they were sapped of energy and felt very weak even when not incorporating a workout! Even without exercising, 500 calories is far far too little to cope with on a general day. I'm honestly not trying to lecture you at all, I just want to inform you of the scary things I've seen from this diet plan and make you aware :) the PT's and nutritionists at our gym really really advise against the diet plan because of it's such high risks and lack of clinically proven research providing long term benefits.