Wamt to change from Lantus to Levemir? Any issues?

alf15

I'm starting to think I am experiencing the same problems which others have when on lantus...works some days, then doesnt work, joint pains etc.

I'm going to ask my nurse/doctor to change over to levemir? Is it just a straight swap?

Is there any side effects of Levemir?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi alf15
Unfortunately Lantus is not the only analogue insulin to cause such side-effects, I've recently discovered :evil: As nannybarbara reported on this forum last week, Humalog was the cause of her ailments.
You should contact the IDDT (Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust), http://www.iddt.org/
Give them a ring and discuss your issues, and they can advise you further on this subject.
Jus :)

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi alf15

The change from Lantus to Levemir is usually :lol: :lol: relatively straightforward.

If you are on one injection of Lantus then to swap to Levemir would require 2 injections a day.
Initially just divide daily dose of Lantus into two for the Levemir & then start to titrate the dose – not everyone has equal doses of insulin on a twice-daily basal regime.

The timing of the twice daily injections will also be dependent on factors including life style, occupation, the dawn phenomenon etc etc. Some users split the dose 12 hours apart – other users inject morning & evening regardless of the time.

You do have to bear in mind that Lantus is the most aggressive long acting GM analogue insulin & sometimes a larger dose of Levemir is required but not always.

I unfortunately did not get on very well at all switching from Lantus to Levemir. For me personally it caused blinding headaches, localised allergic reaction resulting in welts ugh :cry: :cry: at the injection sites but at least I tried it!
Levemir along with Lantus does also tend to cause water retention in some users.

Alf15 have the confidence to try Levemir but if it doesn’t work for you there are good alternative long acting insulin’s available in both animal insulin & human synthetic insulin.

All the best. :)

Txx

alf15

Thanks for the info/replies, I will discuss it with my diabetes team, which im seeing tomorrow. :D