want to come off my pill

laurenk978

Hi every1 im Lauren and been t1 diabetic 4nearly a year! b4 diagnosis me and my fiance were trying 4a baby but when diagnosed i was advised 2go back on the contraceptive pill! seen my dsn 2day and ther wanting 2 put me on a dice course which iam not very keen on doin! and she upt my insuline as blood sugars are not steady! but i guess we will c how it all works out! jst now im jst feeling very confused and feeling that we will never get pregnant :? :thumbdown: HELP!

Kerry-Michelle

Hi Lauren, I am also type 1 and I've had type 1 for 1 year and 4 months.. I am also on the contraceptive pill a) for safety and b) I was told by my doctors that if I was to fall pregnant while not having good control of my diabetes it could harm myself and the baby so myself and my other half have decided that we are going to wait a few years to make sure everything will be fine health wise ect, I you haven't got good control of your blood sugars then I would wait a while also don't stress yourself out about it.. It will happen when you're ready, speak to your fiancé about it, also speak to your DSN too :)

Best wishes!

Kerry xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi Lauren

To be honest, I don't see how anyone can take such risks - no matter how high the temptation.

I'm probably being harsh but the professionals have their reasons for the advice they give - whether or not it's what you want to hear. They are trying to protect you and, if you get pregnant, your child as well. You haven't had diabetes for very long but you have to think that if you do get pregnant you will be dealing with erratic sugar levels for up to 9 months. That is a LONG time, it's a very stressful and emotional time even without having diabetes.

Just give yourself a couple of months to sort out your sugar levels. Read everything you can and try really hard. Wouldn't you rather wait a couple of months and increase your chances of having a healthy baby and an easier pregnancy than just go ahead and deal with the consequences? Plus you have to weigh up the pros and cons. If you go ahead and get pregnant when your levels aren't great you have a greater chance of a miscarriage and if that happens you can't TTC again for several months - putting you even further down the line!

Good things come to those who wait. I understand the frustration - I'm TTC myself but I've only just started to try. I did come off the pill 4 months ago though to try to get it out of my system before we trying so that that wouldn't be a factor. I've been diagnosed for 15 years and I'm now 33 but I've managed to get my HbA1c down from 8.1% to 5% in 12 months.

Good luck but don't rush it.