Wanted decent carrot cake recipe

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Myself and hubby are diabetic, and we love a piece of carrot cake, but we are unable to find a decent cake to buy, so wondered if you lovely people have a recipe that has been tried and tested, I can't make microwave cakes so it needs to be for the oven.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Maybe you could adapt this one?

Breakfast Muffins
by CURVYPIXEL on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:19 pm
These are not quite sweet & not quite savory. I cut in half & sandwich with philly cheese for breakfast - yum

Courgette & Nut Muffins a la Atkins
Ingredients:
90g/3oz soya flour
110g/4oz ground almonds
30g/1oz granulated sweetener (I use 3oz)
2tsp cinnamon (I use 3tsp)
1tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
225ml/8fl veg oil (melted butter works well)
4 eggs
1 med courgette grated
1tsp vanilla extract

1. Heat oven to 180c/gas 4.
2. Sieve together soya flour, ground almonds, salt, sweetener, cinnamon, baking soda & baking powder in a medium bowl.
Mix oil, eggs, courgette & vanilla extract in a bowl. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture & mix well.
Pour batter into muffin cases (about 6-8). Bake 1/2 hr until golden & skewer comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Can also be made as a loaf in an 8" loaf tin.
Carbs: 6 per muffin / 4 carbs per slice if made as a loaf.

banjo brunette

Here are a couple you might try:

James and Vicki’s famous muffin recipe

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil spray for muffin tin
1 cup soya powder or sifted soy flour
1 cup finely ground almonds
1 1/4 cups granular sugar substitute
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 medium carrot, coarsely grated (1 cup loosely packed)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease one 12-cup muffin tin; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together bake mix, ground almonds, sugar substitute, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.In a medium bowl, whisk vegetable oil, eggs, carrot, and vanilla extract. Pour carrot mixture into soy mixture. Mix until just combined. Divide batter in muffin tins.Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown, and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

This is a quote - the first person is the recipe's author, not me!
Spicy Carrot Muffins!
I made some spicy carrot muffins at the weekend and they were a big success. I have one for breakfast each day and one for a snack. They are very light and moist.
I grated 200 grams of carrot and whizzed them with a hand blender, but not so they were completely a paste - I kept a bit of texture. I added these to 100 grams of ground almonds, added 6 egg yolks, some vanilla, plenty of mixed spice plus a bit extra cinnamon and a bit of sweetener. I would have added zest of an orange here also, but I didn't have an orange. Next time..
I mixed everything together well, not sure if I needed extra liquid. You need to make the mix light enough so that it will take the egg whites, so if the mix is a bit stiff here, I gradually add a little warm water.
In a large metal bowl (copper is supposed to be best) I whisked 6 egg whites until very stiff. I folded the whites a third at a time into the nut and carrot mix, trying not to deflate the whites too much. Then I divided the mix between 12 buttered silicon muffin cases and baked at 175 degrees C in a fan oven for 15-20 minutes until they were golden and firm.
Let them cool on a rack, then keep in the fridge or the freezer.
I plan to make some carrot cake soon - this will have twice the amount of almonds to give a denser texture, and I'll definitely add some orange zest. I'll bake it in a loaf tin so that we can eat it in slices. Traditionally carrot cake is served with a cream cheese frosting.
========================================================
I've cooked the first recipe as coconut muffins rather than carrot and they were lovely BTW but I'm sure the carrot version would be lovely. I can't vouch for the second recipe but it's on my list of cakes to make.

Cheers, BB :D