Wanted, Type 1 Ladies only! time of the month question ;-)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Do any of you Type 1 ladies out there have probs with major highs and (in particular) lows at certain times of the month?! During the last year I have had some major, full on hypo's during my period, zero warning (I am not unaware for the rest of the month, FYI) and if my boyfriend hadn't been around to help I'm not sure what would have happened?! Each time I have been cooperative and responsive with him but not lucid or able to speak but recovery is quick once I've taken the 'sugar' he's given me. I do check my blood even more regularly during this time of the month but have checked, registered 5.5 and then plumetted to below 2 approx 30 mins later with no warning, but only during my period! Docs have said that this is normal, check regularly, etc, etc. Which is great advice :roll: but just wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom?! :? :? :?

jopar

Yes this is quite common for diabetic women to experience control changes at durning this time, as the changing hormones can effect how the insulin seems to react...

Being proactive is difficult, in reality most women will have a slightly fluctuating cycle but some do find a pattern within the BG's not only just before a period but also during there period which they can work with...

MDI is difficult to work with theory would say that you should be able to adjust you basal insulin to match some of the changing needs, but in reality any adjustment on the basal insulin takes a couple of days to kick in probably... So main resources are adjusting either carb intake and/or bolus insulin...

I have found the pump to be very helpful at this time of the month it responds very quickly to the necessary adjustments that I need to make...

But I would compare all the data you've got from this time, and see if there is any patterns, it might give you some idea of how you may adjust your insulin to even things out, even if it just gives you some indecation when you are more likely to hit a hypo or high at least you can be more vegilent at these times

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Just a suggestion from a T2 Grandma[that particular problem long past! 8) ]
Try splitting your meals into smaller and more frequent. It MIGHT help
Hana

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thanks Jopar, I thought it was a common problem! Just a pain really, something else to deal with :x

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
good idea Hana, I do tend to subscribe to the little and often theory anyway (regular grazing, bit like a horse :lol: ) but perhaps I should pay more attention to adjusting the kind of food I eat at this time....hmmmmm..........food for thought indeed! :D thanks :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi, i dont go high but do have more hypos so inject a bit less at this time of month :D

africandoll

That time of month does make everything go a little mad,sometimes I get all high readings and the next month I get all low readings.lol

Its about checking and eating correct foods to keep you going.