Warehouse Work

Sookie

Dislikes
Confrontation, Ignorant people and Darkness.
Hi!

I have a question that I'm not sure is silly to ask but would really like to know :( Sorry!

I work in an office and my job is me sitting at a desk all day. Occasionally the warehouse lads may ask for help in the warehouse, which involves picking & packing and lot of physical work.

At the moment I am taking insulin and I am under some control, but when I do exercise out of the ordinary for e.g. some aerobics or jogging I adjust my insulin and have appropriate food. At work I know I won’t be moving a lot other than walking up and down the building, so I don’t bring extra food knowing I won’t be moving much, this helps with my finances too :p

I get worried when the warehouse guys ask for my help downstairs sporadically as I know my BG levels will change. What I have asked is that can they let me know the day before so I can prepare, which is fine with them. Until the Director got hold of this request and said that I was being awkward, unhelpful and trying to get out of helping the warehouse lads. To be honest I don’t mind helping downstairs… I really don’t, it’s a break from my desk :p

I just wanted to know if there was anything I can say to this Director to see if I can get a days warning, or am I just being a baby about it? Be brutally honest, I might need the kick :p

jopar

There isn't really a lot that you can say, realistically I suspect it's unlikely that the day before the warehouse would know they going to need an extra pair of hands...

Two ways around this, keep emergency supplies of something like Jelly babies even a bar of chocolate or two in your office draw, then if called upon to help out, a good accuse to treat to a choccy bar, (when I worked in kennels I used to treat myself to a kitkat at breaktime, as I would burn this off without any problems by dinner)

Or perhaps make sure that some money on you, and say to the director that if you help out in the warehouse then you are allowed timeout to go and get some extra food supplies to cover...

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't you just be prepared IN CASE they ask? Either by reducing your insulin accordingly, or by taking a snack prior to or after the stint in the warehouse? Can't be that hard to keep some Lucozade/chocolate in your desk, right?

Don't know how your boss would react if you said "I'd like to pop out and buy some food before I do any lifting" - the first thing he'd say is keep some in your desk...

(It does sound like you are being a bit too cautious, here...)

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Flapjack in the drawer.

Sorted.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just keep some snacks in your desk so that you are prepared for any requests to help out in the warehouse. Make your employer aware that you may need 5-10 minute break away from your duties should they not allow you to eat on the shop-floor, and explain that denying this request could result in you having a hypoglycemic episode.

Nigel

Sookie

Dislikes
Lol thank you for the kick, really needed it. I sometimes let this diabetes become more than it is.

I do keep lucozades in my drawer so i'll use them if need to. Atleast that doesn't involve storing naughty stuff.

Thank you for the advice :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sookie said:
I do keep lucozades in my drawer so i'll use them if need to. Atleast that doesn't involve storing naughty stuff.

Unless of course you are going hypo, I would be more inclined to go with a flapjack as Celtic suggested.

Nigel

Sookie

Dislikes
I'll probably opt for a healthier option than Flapjack or Chocolate...sorry! Probably some Ryvita, I won't crave it when in my drawer :) Hope Ryvita is ok or something similar?

Anthony88

Well boss either I know about it before, or I fall flat in the way and slow you down even more while you drag my floppy butt to some sugar.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Yeah, can you just make sure the next time you go hypo at work after spending time in the warehouse, you do it as dramatically and noticeably as you can? Would not usually advise such a thing, but will make your boss realise what the potential consequences are of unplanned requests

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't do that. That's what makes people afraid to admit they're diabetic!!!

Diabetics have to take responsibility for their condition and be prepared. Don't rely on those around you unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

jameshallam

I keep a blood meter, hypo supplies and a tupperware box full of biscuits (so they don't go soggy after being int here for ages) in my desk at work. That way, if I do any 'unexpected' exercise I can test and give myself some quick, or slower acting carbs :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jameshallam said:
I keep a blood meter, hypo supplies and a tupperware box full of biscuits (so they don't go soggy after being int here for ages) in my desk at work. That way, if I do any 'unexpected' exercise I can test and give myself some quick, or slower acting carbs :)

Keep some gluco-tabs to hand as well James! :)

Nigel