WARNING - Using Glargine as a Novorapid substitute.

1974darrenh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I realised that I had run out of Novorapid Insulin.

On testing my blood before bed I noticed my levels were 29mmol, so needed to bring those levels down!

I thought maybe I could bring this down by having a higher dose of night time Lantus Glargine.

I normally have 44 units of Lantus Glargine before bed but decided on 100 units this particular night.

As expected, I woke at 7am in a very nasty hypo. Unable to move, sit up, reach for sugar, talk or get help.

After an hour or so, I managed to reach for a bottle of lucozade that was only 1ft away from the bed. 30 minutes later, I was right as rain.

It was a totally stupid thing I did but just in case you ever find yourself in the same situation, don't use a higher dose of Lantus Glargine to bring your levels down.

I never realised just how much effect Lantus Glargine has on high blood sugar levels. I thought it would be very gradual.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One unit of Lantus has the same affect on blood sugars as one unit of Novorapid (i.e. if one unit of your Novorapid brings you down by 2 mmol/l then so will Lantus), it will just take longer to do it. So you had 56 extra units of insulin in you, spread over about 8 hours of sleep meant that you used a third (24 hours divided by 8 ) of 56 units, which is 19 units - a heck of a lot of insulin.

Tricky one, but perhaps you could've found a 24 hour chemist. Bet you won't run out of Novorapid again!

Edit: Removed smiley accidentally inserted by having an eight and a bracket next to each other.

Mr Happy

I don't think you did the wrong thing, just in the wrong quantity. I believe around 30% is delivered almost instantly (not to the novo rapid extreme) and the remainder spread, weakening over time...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

1974darrenh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm quite a high insulin user anyway. With most large meals I have 60 units of Novorapid. Anything lower results in high levels for me. I'm very strict with my diabetes. My H test is always around 7 and the doctors love it.

However at the expense of that, I do have occasional hypos.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If the same ever happens again (running out of insulin at an awkward time) then pop along to your A & E, this has only ever happened once to myself when I dropped my last insulin vial on the kitchen floor (1980's), when I explained to the nurse what had happened they sent me up to a ward where they issued me with some insulin to tide me over, ever since I always ensure that I have one box of each in reserve.

Pleased your alright Darren and no harm was done!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sort of see your logic.... But wouldn't have done it myself! Good reminder for everyone though.

Thanks for sharing!