Was told today by my GP that I do not have Diabetes

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So today I phoned up my GP asking for my blood test results back and the receptionist said that everything is fine. Now I have had these symptoms for months if not years now and I’m really struggling with it. I’m exshuated all the time, my mouth is so dry, my urine smells sweet in which I need to pee a lot. My right leg also really hurts, the pain first started in my foot then worked it’s way up to my thigh. Even if it wasn’t diabetes (which I was 99.9% it was) I was sure that they might have came across something else.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? A second opinion? Because I cannot go on like this. Thanks guys :)

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just phoned the receptionist and she said she will leave a print out for me to go and pick up which I shall do tomorrow. But then where do I go from this print out? I’m so sure something somewhere is not right otherwise I wouldn’t have gone for a blood test in the first place. Thank you for your advice.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Shannonly. You are clearly not well and should not be fobbed off by a receptionist. It is more difficult to stand your ground if you are already feeling rotten. You could ask to see another GP within your practice as areas of expertise differ. You could also take along a friend who can act as moral support, a listening ear or an advocate if necessary. Good luck.

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I shall pick them up tomorrow and show them on here, I could do with all the advice I’m given, thank you.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. It’s also starting to affect my work and my social life, I’m only 20 years old and today being told ‘everything is fine’ I wasn’t exspecting with a reply, I know something somewhere isn’t fine. Thank you for your support :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Another thing you can do is pop into boots and ask for a glucose test. They'll do a finger prick while you wait, and whilst that isn't a diagnosis, it will give you an indication as to whether things are what you think.

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Another thing you can do is pop into boots and ask for a glucose test. They'll do a finger prick while you wait, and whilst that isn't a diagnosis, it will give you an indication as to whether things are what you think.

Is this just done at the Pharmacy in boots? I’ll have a quick look. Thanks.

Reactions: ickihun

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So you may not have diabetes, but you're still feeling ill - get an appointment and make sure you get a proper answer. "Everything is fine" is not an answer. Write down some questions before you go, write out your symtoms. If you don't agree what the GP says then ask for a second opinion. Consultations times are so short and a lot of GP's rush you, giving you no time to think. If it helps take a family member or friend.

I’m going to pick up a print out of the results of my blood test tomorrow but I’ll sound silly going back to my GP when they said everything is fine. I sure as hell don’t feel fine though.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll sound silly going back to my GP when they said everything is fine. I sure as hell don’t feel fine though.
please dont let that hold you back. There are many collections of symptoms and your doctor may have only looked at the most obvious causes, and now needs to look at other tests for other possible causes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’m going to pick up a print out of the results of my blood test tomorrow but I’ll sound silly going back to my GP when they said everything is fine. I sure as hell don’t feel fine though.
Your health is important to you and no receptionist will care like you do, about it.
Express your on-going concern or you will be ignored. Don't feel embarrassed about being assertive. They will respect you better for it.

Reactions: shannonly1996

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I feel for you. I felt fine and they said I might have diabetes!

SRawls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely follow up with the GP. I was told when I called for the results of my first hba1c that 'everything is fine, no further action needed' - a week later I got a call to say I needed to see the diabetes nurse as my hba1c was 115! Next time I had a hba1c when I called I was told the same but insisted on the number which was 54 this time... Better but still not 'fine'.

shannonly1996

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Definitely follow up with the GP. I was told when I called for the results of my first hba1c that 'everything is fine, no further action needed' - a week later I got a call to say I needed to see the diabetes nurse as my hba1c was 115! Next time I had a hba1c when I called I was told the same but insisted on the number which was 54 this time... Better but still not 'fine'.

Wow really? Didn’t they see that your hba1c was high when they first did the test? This is what I’m afraid, I just feel like something has gone wrong, is it possible for a blood test to somehow miss it?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
please dont let that hold you back. There are many collections of symptoms and your doctor may have only looked at the most obvious causes, and now needs to look at other tests for other possible causes.

I agree. Tests are often done as a process of elimination. GPs expect patients to make return visits when symptoms persist.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you go to collect your print out tomorrow, you could ask to register to view your results on line. Then in the future you won’t even have to go into the surgery to see them.