Water in pump

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on holiday in Spain, with tons of Lispro, syringes etc but no Lantus.
My Animas vibe started making a right racket, so phoned the US helpline and was told it was a communication alarm.
The pump was reset but it's alarming again.
I told them I'd been swimming for a couple of hours, but with a new, tight pair of caps but they seemed unconcerned.
I've had a good look now and there's a bit of fluid in the battery compartment!! It seems slightly rusty so obvs not all from today.
I've kitchen tolled it, cool hair dryer'd it and it's sitting somewhere warm and airy.
I'm going to guesstimate boluses/basal requirements and stop eating carbs so should de ok.

Has anyone else had issues with water in Vibe pumps and even the "communication" alarms? Did your pumps die or could you resurrect them?

I'm home in 2 days so should be ok till then, but a bit pee'd off with the waterproof pump not being waterproof. I was only splashing around in a pool too.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have a careful look for a hairline crack in the battery compartment, even if the cap is tight, it's a possible problem .
I wanted a waterproof pump when I first went on one some years ago. Basically the French advice (direction to people using pumps paid for by them) was not to bother saying that no pump was immune from this problem and therefore not to use any of them in water.
Hairline cracks in the battery case were I believe the reason that Medtronic changed from saying that their pump was waterproof to saying that it wasn't .
edit: not the vibe but quick google found this thread about the Animas Ping http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/t/ping-pump-crack-discovered/28519/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much for that.
I've learnt the hard way! It's still screwed but going to dry to dry it out overnight, but not holding out much hope.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One of my close friends also has a vibe and she went swimming with in on holiday and it leaked. She was in Egypt so Animas wouldn't send another pump and she had to manage on injections until she got back to UK. She had checked everything and done everything right just like you. After her experience I always remove pump before swimming. Animas quality isn't what it used to be and I don't trust it.

Reactions: 3 people