1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Water Infections

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by mrssmurf2, Aug 2, 2010.

1. mrssmurf2

mrssmurf2 · Active Member

Hi
    Sorry to keep doing new posts but I couldn't find any info on this.

I am newly diagnosed and in the early stages I had a water infection and was treated with antibiotics. I have been taking Metformin for 4 weeks now and I think I have got another water infection.

I have lower abdo pain and back, pain in my groin and it burns like hell when I wee.
    Is this a regular occurance with diabetes? Since I am new my BS are not yet stabalised but usually between 10 and 12.

Thanks

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Did your doctor take a specimen for the lab or did he just give you an antibiotic ? Sometimes you can become resistant to a certain antibiotic unless checked by a lab for sensitivity.

See your GP and get it checked out in case it is something other than just a urine infection.

You need to drink plenty of water to help flush out the 'bugs'. You can also try Cranberry juice, which helps, but check that you are not on any blood thinning drugs as Cranberry can affect them. You also have to watch your blood sugar levels and keep them down so as not to feed any 'bugs' that you may have with sugar.

3. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Once Blood sugar is properly under control, such infections become a LOT less common. With numbers in double figures, there's plenty of sugar about for bacteria to feed on.
    Do see your doctor soon and in the meantime, bicarbonate of soda in a little water, tastes foul, but can help ease the symptoms.
    Hana

4. mrssmurf2

Thanks for the advice.
    No the Doc didnt take a lab specimen he just dipped a stick in the one i did in the surgery.
    I am actually at the Doc's tomorrow for him to check up on my diabetes so will tell him then. I do drink lots of water but have been avoiding cranberry juice. I actually LOVE cranberry juice but have been avoiding it because I thought there was a lot of sugar in it. I was feeling great last week but feel like pooh again this week, it really hard to control but I am sure it will get better.

Also sorry to be a pain what is the importance of HBa1c? How do I find out what it is?

5. cugila

cugila · Master

Cranberry Juices.
    It depends which brand you buy......there are no added sugar Cranberry Juices which only have 1.1g carbs per 100 mil. Very little at all. Have a good read of some of the labels.

Ken

6. mrssmurf2

OK will look, it taking me ages to shop though cos of reading labels. I gonna end up like Jonny 5 off Short Circuit being able to memorise all the blinking labels.
    Supermarkets are me foe at the moment as I tend to have panic attacks in them (have depression and anxiety), don't know why supermarkets specifically as I go in other shops but the longer I spend in em the more anxious I get! I can even go to concerts but put in a Tesco and I am a wreck lol.

7. cugila

cugila · Master

8. mrssmurf2

Oh that's interesting thanks Ken gonna ask the Doctor tomorrow what mine is.

Thanks a lot

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook