Watery Vision/Sticky Eyes

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this? My eyes feel sticky, sometimes it's one at a time. My vision is a bit blurry, or like I have a film over my eye. I tested my BG and it was 5.1? I've only heard of high BG affecting vision? I was diagnosed last May with a hba1c of 7.9, I did suffer from blurred vision then, but at the time my BG was 12. My last hba1c was done in October which was 5.5. So it sounds like my BG is reducing, which I would have though my vision would be OK. Also I went for the retinopathy screening test last July which came back as OK. Can anyone help?

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Eurobuff! Welcome to the forum! It's better to have it checked with the ophthalmologist so that he can do an exam. I had an episode before of an eye condition unrelated to diabetes and had it treated with eye drops and medications. :)

Good luck and let us know how you go :)

Reactions: 2 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'm due an eye test next month (normal eye test, not retina screening)l I did think of telling them. It's not something that's there all the time

Restormel01

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'm due an eye test next month (normal eye test, not retina screening)l I did think of telling them. It's not something that's there all the time
Hi Eurobuff,
I'm new on here and very much learning my way. I'm here because I attended an Optometrist for my normal 2 year eye sight test and he picked up what he considered an indicator of diabetes. Given that my father had this and died from it the Optometrist has now written to my GP and requested my GP take the matter further. This has only occurred in my right eye which has a tendency to being watery/sticky occasionally - and not all the time. I might add that 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia. Some months afterwards I attended my Optometrist (in a different part of UK to where I am now) for - again - my usual 2 year eye sight test and this picked up the arrhythmia. I assured the Optometrist that I was being treated for this and all was OK. Matter dropped. I have often read over the years that the eyes can be an indicator of a persons state of health. So don't be surprised if a similar scenario emerges with you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be a number of things and your best bet is to go to your GP as it may be nothing to do with diabetes. They will then decide whether or not you need to see an opthalmologist.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum.

For my own part, I have not been able to focus my eyes since being diagnosed with Type 2 since early November last year.

I too had very blurred vision, itching and throbbing eyes.

Now that my sugars are "normal" for me, my vision has settled down, I have visited both the hospital ophthalmologist and the opticians and new glasses should be ready next week.

I countered the itching with bathing my eyes every time the irritation grew worse with a cold water rinse.

It will be a joy to watch television, read a book and drive again. I can only say that time is of the essence.

Regards, Peter

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Eurobuff,
I'm new on here and very much learning my way. I'm here because I attended an Optometrist for my normal 2 year eye sight test and he picked up what he considered an indicator of diabetes. Given that my father had this and died from it the Optometrist has now written to my GP and requested my GP take the matter further. This has only occurred in my right eye which has a tendency to being watery/sticky occasionally - and not all the time. I might add that 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia. Some months afterwards I attended my Optometrist (in a different part of UK to where I am now) for - again - my usual 2 year eye sight test and this picked up the arrhythmia. I assured the Optometrist that I was being treated for this and all was OK. Matter dropped. I have often read over the years that the eyes can be an indicator of a persons state of health. So don't be surprised if a similar scenario emerges with you.

Thanks, I'm afraid my experience isn't as good as yours. I had an eye test, I told them my mother was diabetic, they said nothing. I went for a healthy heart check a month later and was told I was diabetic (they said established diabetic). Also my mother was going for regular eye tests, at the time she had all the classic signs of diabetes & they didn't pick up on it, neither did her doctor, who dismissed it as "an age thing". Luckily she accidentally squirted some bleach in her eye and had to go to the eye infirmary. They saw straight away that she was diabetic, they reckoned she must have had it for at least 10 years. In all this time she had had several eye tests & visits to her GP. By the time it was picked up it was too late to save her sight.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this? My eyes feel sticky, sometimes it's one at a time. My vision is a bit blurry, or like I have a film over my eye. I tested my BG and it was 5.1? I've only heard of high BG affecting vision? I was diagnosed last May with a hba1c of 7.9, I did suffer from blurred vision then, but at the time my BG was 12. My last hba1c was done in October which was 5.5. So it sounds like my BG is reducing, which I would have though my vision would be OK. Also I went for the retinopathy screening test last July which came back as OK. Can anyone help?

I have symptoms like this all the time, sometimes just one eye or the other, sometimes both together. The 'filming' is the stickiness on the eyeball which blurs. It might be worth trying hypromellose drops (artificial tears) buy over the counter from the chemist they clean and wet the eye and give relief

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have symptoms like this all the time, sometimes just one eye or the other, sometimes both together. The 'filming' is the stickiness on the eyeball which blurs. It might be worth trying hypromellose drops (artificial tears) buy over the counter from the chemist they clean and wet the eye and give relief

Thanks I might give that a go, I'll double check that I won't be doing any damage in case it isn't that. Is it a diabetes thing/ related to blood sugar or not do you know?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Thanks I might give that a go, I'll double check that I won't be doing any damage in case it isn't that. Is it a diabetes thing/ related to blood sugar or not do you know?

Mine is not connected to diabetese as I have only been diagnosed since last May and I have had sticky eyes on and off for several years. Hypromellose won't do any damage at all and are safe to use. (Mostly sterile water) If you try them I would suggest using them frequently to begin with until you get some relief then just as you need them. Hope it works for you