Wearing pump...

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi again :)

--- I've seen a few people say that they sometimes wear their pump in their pockets and run the tubing through a small hole in the pocket...

I'm going on a date (!) tomorrow and have a cute summer dress I think I'm going to wear... Ordinarily I'd use my belt under the dress -- but cos we're going for a walk, I then don't want to be lifting my dress up and rummaging around underneath for my pump to see what's going on with the CGM ;-) and as the pump is still so new to me, I know I don't feel confident enough to just not check it at all...

So... The dress has pockets, and I was thinking of trying to make the small hole in a pocket tonight so I can pop the pump in there and more discreetly / easily get access to it as and when I feel I want to... He knows I'm on the pump so I'm not worried about him seeing it, just I don't want to have to lift up my dress to do so :D

--- anyway -- what I can't figure out is; surely the hole in the pocket actually has to be quite big...? I was thinking it could just be a small hole for the tube -- but it has to be big enough to get the connector through as well doesn't it...? Or am I missing something...? It's a really nice dress so I don't want to cut the hole in the pocket bigger than it needs be...

Thanks in advance from anyone who's done this and can offer any tips! :)

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

--- I've seen a few people say that they sometimes wear their pump in their pockets and run the tubing through a small hole in the pocket...

I'm going on a date (!) tomorrow and have a cute summer dress I think I'm going to wear... Ordinarily I'd use my belt under the dress -- but cos we're going for a walk, I then don't want to be lifting my dress up and rummaging around underneath for my pump to see what's going on with the CGM ;-) and as the pump is still so new to me, I know I don't feel confident enough to just not check it at all...

So... The dress has pockets, and I was thinking of trying to make the small hole in a pocket tonight so I can pop the pump in there and more discreetly / easily get access to it as and when I feel I want to... He knows I'm on the pump so I'm not worried about him seeing it, just I don't want to have to lift up my dress to do so :D

--- anyway -- what I can't figure out is; surely the hole in the pocket actually has to be quite big...? I was thinking it could just be a small hole for the tube -- but it has to be big enough to get the connector through as well doesn't it...? Or am I missing something...? It's a really nice dress so I don't want to cut the hole in the pocket bigger than it needs be...

Hi, sorry but I'm not a pumper, but good luck and all the very best on your date, how exciting and a little nervy too perhaps ? Does your date know you are Type 1 diabetic, I am an interested party, but won't go into it. ps I hope you can get some help from the other pumpers.

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, sorry but I'm not a pumper, but good luck and all the very best on your date, how exciting and a little nervy too perhaps ? Does your date know you are Type 1 diabetic, I am an interested party, but won't go into it. ps I hope you can get some help from the other pumpers.

Best wishes RRB :)

Thank you! :) ... He does know, yes... And now I'm intrigued... Go into it... :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a look at the seam of the pocket and do some nifty unpicking there, or if your tubing is long enough use some tubi grip and strap pump to arm. You could always liven things up by sticking pump in bra and hoping it doesn't vibrate :eek:
Enjoy your date :)

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
what I can't figure out is; surely the hole in the pocket actually has to be quite big...? I was thinking it could just be a small hole for the tube -- but it has to be big enough to get the connector through as well doesn't it...?
I have never done this either but I agree that the hole would need to be large enough to be able to work through whichever of the two connectors of your tubing was smallest. Which end that would happen to be would, of course, depend on which infusion set you are using, yes?

If you do decide to modify your dress then I think you would also want to reinforce the hole in some way so that it doesn't continue to fray and become larger from wear over time. One of the reasons I have never tried this is that I don't know how to do that myself and I don't have a clever friend who might be able to do it for me. :(

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @-Artemis- , on the couple of dresses I've done this I've sewn on some strips of velcro along the hole so that is it big enough to get the connector through but I can then seal the hole up around the tube so I don't have a big hole in the pocket.

I hope your date goes well and the pump behaves without sending you alarms!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you! :) ... He does know, yes... And now I'm intrigued... Go into it... :)

Erm, no I wont, but looking, but it's a minefield out there, but I think you have found a good un, so chuffed for you :D

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never done this before so can't offer any advice @artemis sorry Hun but let us know what you do n if it works ok,

I wasn't sure where to put mine once so stuffed it In between my cleavage but nearly had a boob exposing moment so never done that again - so if the pocket doesn't work, cleavage stuffing isn't a good option FYI haha

Hope the date goes good :) x

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Never done this before so can't offer any advice @artemis sorry Hun but let us know what you do n if it works ok,

I wasn't sure where to put mine once so stuffed it In between my cleavage but nearly had a boob exposing moment so never done that again - so if the pocket doesn't work, cleavage stuffing isn't a good option FYI haha

Hope the date goes good :) x
You can get small pump bags/purses that hang around your neck :)

Reactions: 5 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Brilliant suggestions, thanks all!! I don't have Velcro so this one will just have to be a hole, but I'll reinforce it -- and get some Velcro for future alterations!

Thanks for the date luck too! x

Longtimer30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
in between your boobs in your bra (if dress not to low cut.
You can get things to go around your thigh your waist onto your Bra
Another one of friends wears larger pants and has pump in there (I have not tried this one )

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Great links, thank you @Longtimer30! :)

... Date went really well he was really interested in the pump and CGM and kept asking questions ((in a good way)) -- he was so curious as to where my CGM / infusion set is that as one is in my back and the other at the side of my waist I let him touch them through my dress... And then we both joked a lot that that was a first over any other first dates either of us have previously had...!

Reactions: 7 people

carol anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mashed potato

I have a clip they come with the pump and clip it to my bra in the middle so its out of the way

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good stuff, glad to hear it went well @-Artemis- :)

What a great diabetic chat up line that would be, "do you want to feel my CGM and cannula"?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good stuff, glad to hear it went well @-Artemis- :)

What a great diabetic chat up line that would be, "do you want to feel my CGM and cannula"?

I know...!! I honestly said it just cos he was so curious... So instead of trying to say what they were I just said 'it's just here, you can feel it...' -- and cos he was so interested he just did: then we both looked at each other and burst out laughing!! Can't actually believe I actually suggested it to be honest...!!

... But was funny!!

Reactions: 11 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He sounds like a winner!! I haven't dated since I had my daughter but I always wonder how weird it would be for an outsider to come into my diabetic world. I worry how they'd react.