Week 3 and kilos not dropping but inches are??

Kazzabon

Well this is the longest I've been on very low carb as normally when I see the scales hovering at the same level I get disheartened and head for the toaster. However, my insulin levels have been reduced ( massively) and I am fitting into clothes that were tucked at the bottom of the wardrobe because they 'shrunk' .......

Don't understand why the scales are not moving thou - any theories? I am around 8 kilos overweight, been a type 1 for 25 years and on HRT patches and blood pressure tabs.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Trust the inches not the scales. I went through exactly the same thing. I think part of the problem is that everyones weight fluctuates by a few pounds on a daily basis, and this "noise" can easily mask the weight loss that you've achieved by burning fat.

I have funky scales that send my results to the internet, so I have a complete record of my weight loss. I constantly think (from looking at the number on the scales) that my weight loss has stalled, but it's only when you look at the long term trend you can see that it's constantly downward.

Keep at it, and soon you too will be spending a fortune replacing otherwise good clothes....

face990

Dislikes
Not being able to eat pizza
Hi kazzabon.
Can I ask how much carbs and protein you are eating daily.
Are you also active? Exercise etc...
As you would be eating plenty of protein I would put it down to muscle gain and fat loss.
This being a good thing.

canuck1950

It is not uncommon for this to happen if you are "remodelling" as a result of carb restriction. In other words, you are losing fat and rebuilding muscle at the same time. The loss of inches while weight is stable is an indicator that this is what is happening.

Kazzabon

Hi, thanks for the reassurance.

I am eating very low carb I think - only 2/3 handfuls of green veg a day and fromage frais or fromage blanc with a couple of tablespoons of oat germ and wheat germ for breakfast. No alcohol which is a real bummer when you account for where I live!

As for exercise, I walk the dog, usually for around 45 mins but sometimes over 2 hours. I didn't measure inches before going on the diet but clothes are defo looser. I've been feeling a little low energy wise and mood wise the last few days so am wondering whether I need to increase carbs a tad but don't want to add back the two kilos I've lost!

Sorry to go on but this is all new to me as I could never have got away with this diet before the pump!

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

It can take a few weeks for the body to properly change over to a ketonic state when you are eating low carb and during the 'changeover' the energy levels can take a bit of a dip - and you can also sometimes feel a bit yukky as the body starts to detox too.

Once the body is used to burning fats as fuel rather than carbs the energy levels should usually come back up.

face990

Dislikes
Not being able to eat pizza
I would say your carb intake is a little to low. I would have gradually decresed my carb intake from 100g and lowered it gradually. As you have gone for such a low carb intake and have managed for 3 weeks, I would recommend sticking with it and your energy levels will come back up.
As you are exercising I would definately say you are adding muscle.,this can only be a good thing as muscle increases insulin sensitivity and the bodies need for energy, which inturn makes it easier to slim.
dont worry to much about your actual weight just keep an eye on your measurements, waist, arms, legs etc...