Weetabix weetos or Bran flakes ?

tangram

Weetabix chocolate Weetos - Carb = 22.6 Sugars = 7.1 per 30g serving

Wholegrain bran flakes- Carb = 26.5 Sugars = 11.4 per 30g serving.

Thought Bran flakes were supposed to be healthy....not very it seems !!!

tangram

Ive just noticed the GI Index for them, Weetos are 74 (High) All Bran 30 (Low) Mini Wheats 58 (medium) So which is the better sacrifice, the higher GI or carbs ??? :?

A

Anonymous

I have weetabix now though always used to have bran flakes (sultana bran actually, oh those heady days of youth). I only have one weetabix - I guess shredded wheat are better because they're harder to eat but I really don't like them.

I tend to look at carbs first rather than GI

tangram

I guess I will just have to wait till I obtain a meter to be fully sure what is best for me...Im opting at the moment for low GI as much as possible to redress the balance after all the poison I have eaten this last 4 years listening to a woeful NHS Dietician. Im not surprised I kept stuffing my face 2 hours after a huge family meal, and feeling tired , miserable, and thoroughly cheesed off !! I have never felt better and that's just after 2 days on Low Carbs and Low GI :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From GI index database
http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php
Bran Flakes GI 65 -74
All Bran 30-55
Sultana Bran 64-73
Weetabix 75
Shredded wheat 62-83
Min-wheats 58-9
Weetos no result
(recipes for cereals vary between countries so GIs can vary considerably)
The only one that is in the 'low' bracket is All Bran

Grazer

tangram said:
Ive just noticed the GI Index for them, Weetos are 74 (High) All Bran 30 (Low) Mini Wheats 58 (medium) So which is the better sacrifice, the higher GI or carbs ??? :?
Tangram, you mention AllBran here, but on your original post you were talking about bran flakes. There's a big difference. All Bran would almost certainly be better for your BG I would think than most because of the very high fibre content (hence the really low GI) but I find them inedible! You're right in saying you need a meter to find out properly though.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think packeted breakfast cereals are a minefield. The flashes on the packet may promote a healthy food but for example the 'whole grains in Weetos amounts to only 44% of the ingrediants, they also contain 'Wheat Flour,(ie non whole grain flour) Sugar, Maltodextrin, Cocoa Powder, Vegetable Oil, Whole Milk Powder, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Flavouring ' + a quota of added vitamins.
The GIs of packet breakfast cereals are with odd exceptions like frosties ( :!: ) usually high, probably because those 'whole grains' have been squashed, chopped into tiny bits and then added to high GI ingrediants , before being extruded into interesting shapes.(the extrusion might actually help lower the GI a bit... thats what happens with pasta' )
When you add milk to most cereals they become very soft and very easy to digest quickly.

(think what happens with potato.. when you cook it and mash it ,it's GI rises)

Oats for porridge have a lot less processing but are relatively heavy so portion control is important (30g per portion on a French packet..at least 10g more in the UK, wonder why?) adding some berries can make a bigger helping and add one of your 'five a day' to your breakfast.
and be careful of 'instant' porridges as again they are more processed.
Another alternative is making porridges or muesli with a mixture of flaked grains and seeds but again portion control is crucial.... and it's expensive at the start as you have to buy lots of packets from health food shops.

Your meter will guide you as to what you can eat from this minefield, and how much of it.

iHs

Hi

Although it's an aquired taste; bulgar wheat eaten as a porridge gives less of a rise up in bg levels than a portion of oat made porridge.

I make mine with water and serve it with a heaped tsp of thick live yogurt and a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon.

A 100g weight serving cooked (as per Carbs & Cals) equals 20g in carb. Because bulgar wheat is very high in soluble fibre I only bolus for 17g and that keeps my bg levels fairly level.

Reactions: Nikki-616

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only two cereals I find as a type 1 that give me the best postprandial results are Porridge Oats (rough cut) and All-Bran.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
phoenix said:
From GI index database

Read all about GI index on the bloodsugar101 site. Slightly too much conspiracy theory in the writing style but makes some good well founded points about the usefulness or not of the GI Index data imo. Worth a read.

You can get directly to the relevant bloodsugar101page by using this link http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/22168291.php

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
The only breakfast cereal I can tolerate (and even that only now and again) is "Lizi's Granola", available from most supermarkets I think - certainly Tesco).

When I have it I have a small serving (about 30g) with semi-skimmed milk, and I leave it to soak and swell. Sometimes I put it together before bed and leave it in the fridge overnight, if I know I'm going to be in a hurry next day.

Otherwise I have a 2-egg omelette every day. Takes no time to cook and eat, keeps me full until lunch-time, and tastes delicious.

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since diagnosis I have been able to eat oat granola and also aldis maple and pecan crunch without it affecting my BG levels. (I was also able to eat more than I should over xmas and got away with it)
However, I think my body is catching up with me now and I find I am longer getting away with things that I used to. 2hrs after breakfast this morning it was 9.1!

I now need to re-think my choice at breakfast. I need something quick and easy for work days. Was thinking maybe some wheat crackers (2.7g carbs each) with cheese. I don't enjoy yoghurts. Omelette is ok but takes time to make. Suppose I could get up a bit earlier :(

Grazer

Or do some hard boiled eggs night before, have th next morning with ham, or tomatos or whatever? Keeps you full and no nasty BGs

tangram

Your right Grazer I did mention All Bran when I meant Bran flakes...must have bran on the brain :?

Im going to stick with 1 slice of burgens bread with peanut butter on, never really had cereal in the morning anyway, it was always a night time snack for me !