Weight gain due to the insulin

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic for 3weeks now and since then I've gained over half a stone, I'm 16 so this is a big thing for me especially as I've always been self conscious about my weight. I read online that insulin is a fat storage and hunger hormone. We have recently booked a holiday and I want to lose all this extra weight before we go but I've been barely eating and dont really snack anymore the only other way I can think of losing weight is to stop taking the insulin but I know that won't benefit my health in the long run. Any suggestions on what I should do?

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Don't stop taking insulin! You really won't enjoy your holiday at all if you do that and it could be detrimental to your health in the long term.

It may be that you lost weight before your diagnosis because of three lack of insulin in your system and now you're putting it back on. Your weight will balance out but try to eat a healthy diet and don't overdose on insulin.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I do believe it is quite common as a newly diagnosed diabetic to put a little weight on in the beginning. This is due to the fact that before diagnosis, your body was essentially 'starved' as it wouldn't have been able to uptake the glucose into the body's cells. When you start injecting after diagnosis the body tends to keep hold of the extra insulin cells if it can because it thinks it will 'starve' again. This shouldn't last too long though don't worry.

When is your flight? I would just continue eating healthy, looking after yourself during this adjustment period. Whatever you do though don't stop taking your insulin. You will find over the next few weeks/months/years that you will be adjusting your insulins depending on what your lifestyle is like etc
Hopefully someone else will be on here shortly who might have some more helpful information for you. Stay positive, hope this reassures you a little
Joanne x

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi EllieLou,

The same happened to me when I was diagnosed. Although I was pleased to lose weight I had not realised the damage that was being caused, despite feeling very unwell, by my body's lack of insulin production. I gained back all the weight I had lost before diagnosis. But now that my insulin dose has been fine tuned to my activity and food consumption I have managed to steadily lose excess weight.

Please be patient. It takes time to achieve perfection. And don't even think about stopping insulin injections. You need the insulin for your body and brain to function efficiently.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To my way of thinking only.... I talk plain straightforward... So aplogise.....

I lost a lot of weight before my diagnosis....and yes after diagnosis. i put the weight back on.

With me pre diabetes, I could eat and drink loads and still lost weight...tbh what you consider eating less and barely snacking... Could actually be a huge amount of food compared to low carbers, weight watchers!! Etc...

Now in all honesty I personally believe that you may well have been size 16.... But that may well have been a light weight for your eating habits then.... And weight gain may and should regain as your bloods lower their levels...

You say you are eating less..with less snacking...
To maintain my weight as a T1 for 25+ years I rarely take snacks unless needed through my physical work. Unless they are needed to combat low levels.. I would personally try to get a new living without too many snacks unless you are going to physically need them due to insulin or you know you are going to exercise physically

There are studies / research that links weight gain to hormones to insulin etc.... But only from my own experience for me, my weight gain after my diagnosis from 71/2 st to eventually 91/2 stone was my body normalising the food contents and getting me back to a stable weight... Since then and I certainly don't blame insulin myself... I put weight on if I eat too many carbs and cala to what my body needs to have.

I daresay people will say that insulin can cause weight gain..... HOWEVER... My own body puts on because of eating too much or not exercising throuh working very hard physically...

What is a typical day menu for you including snacks?

If size 14 or above personally I would get a portion control plate and use it. Or use a while of low carbing.

My husband and I eat the same food each day... He's a pen pusher, i work very hard physically. He eats huge portions of just plain meat, veg and yogurt say for main meal... I eat a 1/3rd of his food... Thats why he fat... I'm not.

Even if insulin is a hormone that increases weight...personally, i believe that it is still possible to lose it.....

Sorry for sounding and being harsh with a critical stance in your early days, but just really to briefly put... Your diagnosis is ground zero day to look clearly at your food, habits, lifestyle and health... Please dont jump on literature saying that insulin is a growth hormone to put on weight, please take a clear view of your whole life..... If it is all down to insulin growth hormone, then there should be one patient here that would be a skeleton...

It may well be a factor for some, but please look at everything.....There must have been people under reseach conditions that put on weight leading scientists to conclude this decision.

My own was that I put on weight to a normal level, because my levels ran so high in prediagnosis that I could eat anything... After when levels stabilised then I got to weight I wanted I did not have to eat even 30% of what I did pre diagnosis.

ellecook79

I think the OP was saying that they were 16 and not a size 16!

This can be a very difficut and hormonal age and your weight can go up and down even without the added complications of diabetes!

It seems obvious but if you eat healthily and exercise you will maintain a helathy weight. Like it or not you are diabetic now for the rest of you life and thew sooner you work out how to live with it and what works for you the better.

I am quite a slim size 8 but I follow the weightwatchers plan all the time. I can't remember the last time I had a takeaway or a macdonalds! I low carb (about 100g a day) as this helps with my sugar levels and importantly to me, keeps my weight at a level at which I am comfortable. In short - I have to work at it to stay this slim!

The more carbs I eat, the more insulin I inject and the heavier I get. But I don't blame the insulin for this - it is the extra food that I am putting in!

My advice would be to try somethinh like weightwatchers - it will help you lose those few pounds that have gone on before your holiday. It is also a great way to learn good portion control! It has always worked for me.

Elle x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
EllieLou said:
Ive been diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic for 3weeks now and since then I've gained over half a stone, I'm 16 so this is a big thing for me especially as I've always been self conscious about my weight. I read online that insulin is a fat storage and hunger hormone. We have recently booked a holiday and I want to lose all this extra weight before we go but I've been barely eating and dont really snack anymore the only other way I can think of losing weight is to stop taking the insulin but I know that won't benefit my health in the long run. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Hello EllieLou

Keeping active will help to burn the fat storing mechanics of the insulin :thumbup:
Also consider the size of portion foods eaten too :?:

Try making a list of your favourite foods and reduce the carbs if any there.
Replace with more protein this will help with the hunger pangs and times .
Look up the what have you eaten today thread - in there are members daily meals eaten each meal time!
A great way to get ideas and inspiration easily if you ever get stuck with suitable foods to eat .
Plus rummage through the recipes and food thread - tons of helpful ideas/information there :thumbup:

To reduce fat storage - fat burn is needed :)
It dosent have to be a heavy session at the gym or running miles, as long as you keep active at a comfortable
level for you , it will produce the fat burn ...

Hope you have a great holiday - and keep active - and taking the insulin too .

Anna.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ooooops sorry, I jumped to wrong conclusion then if age 16... Not size 16...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont ever give up insulin unless advised to by your consultant. I know if I stopped I would be in hospital within 24 hours under intensive care...

If you age 16 and self conscious of weight...why is that?