Weight gain with exercise

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just a quick note to say that I upped my level of exercise about a month ago and almost immediately put on four pounds.

Yesterday I was back to my starting weight and today I have lost a pound :)

Not a startling tale, and I am within the normal BMI range, but just to let others know that if you start exercising and your weight goes up this is not a reason to panic and try and change what you are doing.

We shall see if I carry on taking off the pounds.

Cheers

LGC

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget - that could be due to building muscle mass.

Which is good.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Yeah, if your exercising alot to lose weight, your better off measuring your waist, arms and legs to see if it's making difference that ways instead.

Your probably burning fat, but building muscle too, muscle weighs more than fat so looks like your putting weight on instead.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
10st 5lb..female...5'6" and GP always call man and lean and fit.....soley down to muscle....size 10.....should be classified according to normal tables as overwight.....but according to BMI, just wihin normal to low!!!!!!......improving muscle tone can help alot...but the pounds may not necessarily drop...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
donnellysdogs said:
10st 5lb..female...5'6" and GP always call man and lean and fit......
D.D. - Lean & Fit take as a complement , but calling you a man, thats ungentlemanly!! :twisted:
Will I come dwn and set the boys on him? :twisted:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oops...should have been lean and mean!!!! Sometimes I wish I could be lean and voluptuous in some areas-besides my typo mistakes!!!!!!!!!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ah- yeah - didn't state that the weight gain would be due to adding muscle.

Have not yet achieved buns of steel but they are at least of low grade alloy :)

It is a dead giveaway when your weight goes up at the same time your bum shrinks.

Cheers

LGC

Seaman36

Well,thanks for sharing useful information....According to my opinion,According to my opinion, You are losing fat but gaining muscle....Because muscle weighs more than fat, you can be gaining weight but still be getting smaller...!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
As muscle (I can't word this bit properly) uses up more of your resting metabolic rate than fat does-just resting muscle uses more calories than fat, you may initially put on weight, then the muscle starts burning more calories and hey presto you're losing weight again.

Malcolm.Smith

I put myself on a low carb diet after gaining a waist size a year after I got married!. I've been having mini chicken breast for breakfast and small salads from the sainsbury's salad cart at lunchtime. I have green veg with chickpeas and no pasta or bread.
Fair enough my blood glucose levels have been amazing and I've gone from using 35-40 units of Novorapid a day to just 10 to 15. I've been swimming twice a week and walking to work 20 mins each way from Charing x to Bond st.
Problem is and don't shoot me down for being impatient but I only seem to be loosing 3 ponds!. I don't think the swimming has gained that much muscle mass surely. My wife has cut drinking 2 glasses of wine a night (the big lush!) and shes dropped 5 pounds!!. Were not hugely overweight, I'm 5ft 8 and currently weigh around 12 and a half stone but I'd just like to get back into me trousers!.
Any idea on what I'm doing wrong ?

Malcolm.Smith

Also just a wee update, I did a ketone test this morning and it was high, but my blood sugar for the last 2 weeks hasn't risen above 9 and even then only briefly. This is a good thing right?. It shows I'm burning lard if I've understood everything thats been said in the forum ?.

dawida

Some exercise will help to gain weight such as weight training where extra muscle mass adds to the body weight. Other exercise like running and cycling will burn calories and without extra calories you will lose weight, not gain weight. Remember though, that weight training raises your metabolic rate, so you will require more calories to maintain any weight gained through added muscle. A combination of proper diet, weight gain shakes and exercise for weight gain will maximize healthy weight gain with added pounds of muscle.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
dawida said:
Some exercise will help to gain weight such as weight training where extra muscle mass adds to the body weight. Other exercise like running and cycling will burn calories and without extra calories you will lose weight, not gain weight.

You reckon? If you're not careful I'll show you a picture of my grotesquely developed calf muscles that will convince you otherwise...

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
LittleGreyCat wrote

Just a quick note to say that I upped my level of exercise about a month ago and almost immediately put on four pounds.

I went from 14st 4lbs to 13st 10lbs over a couple of months, then mid-March just stalled and slowly crept up again to 14st.

Took a while for the penny to drop. My birthday was in March, and with an Amazon voucher bought some dumbbells to increase my upper body and arm strength.
Felt so good about this new activity (for me :lol: ) that I didn't connect this with my weight loss concerns.
Was keeping my head down about this, until it resolved itself.
I was so relieved when it dawned on me. Just didn't understand it, when my waist size was falling :roll:

Geoff