weight gain.

Curleous

Dislikes
bad manners and rudeness
hi there all
please can someone tell me if there is a link between insulin doses and weight gain. Since been diagnosed in july 2009 i have steadily been putting on weight about 1 kg a month despite eating a far healthier diet . I had lost about 16 pounds on diagnosis and hoped to keep this off as was slightly overweight before diagnosis. I am on 16 lantus and 3 , 4 , and 4 to 8 of novorapid at mealtimes and quite often am feeling hungry . i have also noticed that my levels have slightly increased in the morning and have had to increase the lantus from 14 to 16 over the lsat month. is this because i have put on the weight? i take the lantus at 22.00 every night.

Cheers

Andy

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have a massive weight problem and over the years the more weight I have put on the more insulin i need the more weight I put on...................

Finally getting to grips with it now (fingers crossed)

Lorna

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Taking insulin or insulin promoting drugs, does end to cause weight gain.
One way to counter this, is to cut back on carbs and reduce the dose of medicine. If you have quite a few instances where you need to stop a hypo developing, by using glucotabs or sugar drinks, this makes it worse, so it's important to keep carb/insulin ratio as good as possible

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Curleous, I'm not sure if you are asking if insulin in itself can cause weight gain in some way? I dont' believe it can, but obviously being diabetic focuses on managing ones diet, sometimes to an extreme if you have having a bad time of it so the use of insulin can cause weight gain but not the insulin itself, if that makes sense?! I've never personally found it an issue and have never gained weight (other than when I was with child!) but I did find it tough to lose that weight because of insulin use/correcting hypo's etc..........it's a really interesting topic :p