1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight gain!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Madelinelowery, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Madelinelowery

Madelinelowery Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm curious to no how much weight people have gained in there first trimester?
    In now 15 weeks pregnant and Iv already put loads of weight on. I haven't really been over eating either

Thanks

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I'll bump your post up for some answers.

It may be that the weight gain will slow down as most of us have weight fluctuations whilst we are pregnant.

3. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have gained about 10kg in total since around this time last year when I was probably a bit underweight. I haven't tracked it too closely but I reckon was roughly as follows.

A few kilos was from stopping breastfeeding and before getting pregnant again. A few more in the first trimester. Didn't really put any on in second trimester. Have started to put a little more on again now.

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I'm almost 23wks and I've put on more than 20lbs. I put a surprising amount on in the first trimester but my weight gain seems to be slower now. If you're eating healthily and not excessively, I'm sure your weight gain overall will be fine : )

5. Madelinelowery

Madelinelowery Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! In the first 2 months I gained 1/2 stone!! I'm only 15 weeks and the stretch marks are already coming
    I'm not tracking my weight now, hopefully it will make me feel better!xxx

6. Lolli24

Lolli24 · Well-Known Member

I'm 23 weeks today and I've put on about 2 stone my BMI was fine before I got pregnant now it's 32! As long as baby Is healthy I'm not too worried as before I got pregnant I had diabulimia so can't let me weight bother me at the moment!x

• Like Like x 2
  7. AliceJones

AliceJones · Newbie

Any more suggestions?

8. courtenayjane

courtenayjane Type 1 · Active Member

I posted about this the other week because I was freaking out about the same thing! I am 12+3 and have put on 6lbs. It felt like much more a few weeks ago but I think that was mainly bloating (some evenings I looked 5 months pregnant!). I am hoping now that the morning sickness has eased up, I can get back to eating better and not giving into cravings! The other thing that I found really difficult was having to eat so much extra to manage low sugars.

Did your weight gain slow down in the second trimester? I have read quite a few people say that they gained a lot in the first trimester but then it slowed down... Here's hoping!

9. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Hi @courtenayjane :)

6lbs is nothing to worry about. I read that the average weight gain in the first trimester is around 8lbs. Some women put the weight on in 'surges', others gain steadily. The most important thing is to eat well. When the nausea goes, you'll fancy a wider range of foods. Trust your body to organise the weight gain as it needs :) You're growing and nourishing a whole new person, after all!

You'll be surprised how quickly that weight melts away when baby is born :)

10. mrsguiseley

mrsguiseley Type 1 · Active Member

I'm 18 weeks and have put on a stone so far, most of in the first trimester due to the drop in blood sugars and the need to keep eating to keep them raised - nowhere near as pleasurable as it sounds! This happened with my first pregnancy too, things evened out in the second trimester and by the third I didn't look pregnant from the back at all! I'm Type 1 and was active during pregnancy with walking and pregnancy aquarobics....breastfeeding definitely helped with getting the weight off. That and a baby who would only sleep while being walked in his pushchair ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook