Weight gain

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Any help would be great.

We have now moved back to the UK after 8 years in Italy and it's a year that I have not had a cigarette (I am vaping) BUT.. I have nearly put on a stone and do not know what else to do apart from starve myself!! I walk an hour each day watch my carb intake:

Had test at Docs and they have said ALL IS FANTASTIC which in its self is great news.

Any advise would be appreciated as I feel Like Smoking, eating a cream cake and becoming a couch potato again.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome back to the UK David :)

A lot of people gain weight when they stop smoking, try and cut back on your food consumption and see how that goes, I found by avoiding snacking in-between meals helped a lot as well as cutting back on portion sizes with my main meals.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
It might be worth doing a calorie count for a few days to make sure you are not inadvertently eating more than you realise. It's scary how quickly the calories mount up - that small piece of cheese, the almonds you snack on, the banana and the Apple ... all good healthy food but packed with calories.
I put on quite a bit of weight when I gave up smoking. That's why so many people start again! Persevere and your body will eventually behave itself :D

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi David
I'm having the same problem, although this is only my 6th week cig free, Im slowly putting on weight. Im low carbing and high fatting, I dont know maybe Im having too much fat?? Im still learning lol. Anyhow, I have my review on Monday with DN so Im preparing myself for a telling off or a frown at least from her. Last time I went she was pleased with my weight loss but less pleased with my smoking. You just cant win :confused: Just to add, Ive been calorie counting too using myfitnesspal, some days Im not reaching the 1200 calories Im meant to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Reduce major carbs (or eliminate them) and increase veg. It will work and you do not have to count anything

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really need to put on weight so no experience personally but the 5:2 diet seems to work for a lot of people.