Weight gain

rkeane

Hi.
Was diagnosed Type 1 last year. I realise I was very underweight at the time 7.5 stone. However since getting everything under control and changing my diet which is very healthy apart from a few glasses of wine at the weekend, I have put on 1 and a half stone. I eat very healthy food and run or walk for an hour 4 days a week. How can I stop putting on weight as I am now starting to pour out of my clothes. It's extremely frustrating!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Insulin will do that. Reducing carbs and insulin dose MIGHt help, but it's not an easy one to get round.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep - I went from 11.5 stone average weight to 13.5 - all good if you're going to the gym and trying to build muscle, but not much good if you're not intending to put on that much. Just remember that you're probably eating more frequently now you're diabetic. I know I never used to have anything before bed! Now it's just part of the routine.

So if you don't want to gain any more, you'll need to look at reducing some of your meal sizes.

rkeane

Thanks guys.
Only problem is that my portions are quite small. Bowl of porridge in morning with fruit. 1 slice brown bread, fruit at lunch, 1 potato, meat and vedge. 1 slice toast before bed. To be honest I feel that if I eat any less I'll be starving all day!! Does anyone think it could be weekend drinking or am I just getting paranoid!!!!!!!!!!!

jopar

You say that you were very under weight at 7.5 stone, and now are 9 stone. You didn't mention your height, but I'm just under 9 stone myself 5ft4 and I'm skinny indeed...

The weight gain could be more to do with your body returning to it's normal weight, what you need to do now is to keep a close eye on your weight to see that you aren't increase above your normal weight for your height.

I would find out your height, look at a BMI chart, to determin where your weight for your height should lay..

rkeane

Hi,
Thanks so much for all your advice.
I'm 5ft 3. My bmi is 22 which my doc says is perfect. But I feel bloated a lot. Now don't get me wrong, I am by no means fat. I exercise a lot so am sure some of it is muscle but my stomach and love handles are pouring out of my jeans. I'm beginning to feel very uncomfortable and don't think I can do anymore to stop the weight gain.