Weight Loss has slowed right down

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi there,

I've lost over 5 stone in 9 months 'watching' my carbs. More importantly its kept my BG right in check.

I have 1 stone now left to lose to get my BMI to 24 and I am on a mission to drop from 2 metformin per day to 1.

I have been trialing and erroring foods and monitoring BG and found to drop the 1 metformin I can eat no more than 30g per day of carbs. This includes for milk in my coffees as well.

I have had to cut bread now totally ( I was eating 2 x Burgen Soya and Linseed) and drop to only 1 or 2 slices of carrot etc per day. My previous carb count was around 60g.

All is well, I feel better than ever, my BG is spot on and i'm running on 1 metformin per day. The only problem is that my weight loss has stopped totally. I am eating around 2000 Calories per day consisting mainly of meat and fish. I am walking around 5 miles per day also. I don't eat any Butters or Creams or Fry things a great deal - if I do its the tiniest amount of extra virgin olive oil.

Its a double edge sword really as I need to eat to keep my BG up and give me energy. I don't think I have the energy to do a big workout without eating more food but on the same token I need to lose this last stone in weight.

The other thing is that toiletry habits are not what they were. Not that i feel bloated or constipated but What was a daily regular occurance is now perhaps every other day

Is it now the fat content of food I need to be watching as well as the Carbs and cals. What about fiibre content to keep things moving?

Any advice from more experienced low carbers much appreciated, maybe its just one of those things and weight loss will resume in due course if i stick at it.

Many thanks

Carl

anniep

Don't know about low carb weight loss specifically but I do know that your body can reach a plateau after a spell of weight loss, and can reastart again after while. Bu talso metformin can aid weight loss too, so maybe cutting down the metformin has had an effect.
But sometimes it is just that our bodies idea of the weight it wants to be isn't what we think we want, if you see what I mean? ANd to get lower you may have to cut down the calories now.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Thanks for the advice guys. I do eat veg but not a lot and you're probably right about the water. I will cut down on the coffees this week and drink more water and see how i go on.

cheers

Carl

jane22

Good luck. If you are not eating enough veg this could be the reason for your constipation. Water will also help with this. I can't give up coffee but probably have cut down to 3 cups a day now. I try really hard to drink plenty of water and have a large glass as soon as I get up and found a tip somewhere that said to always have a glass with meals and before you drink tea or coffee.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Hi all,

Drinking more fluids and cutting down on the coffees has started things moving again. Only 1 pound weight loss this week but starting dropping again after 3 or 4 weeks of staying the same weight.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am now right down to no more than 30g Carbs per day - 10 of these are from milk in my cofee. I would have to say i've never felt better. I don't seem to get those mid afternoon lulls after lunch and my BG's are pretty much stable between 5 and 6.

Thanks again

Carl