Weight loss - interesting...

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read this at http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/community ... 066?page=2:

There's nothing magical about the maple/cayenne/lemon combination. You lose weight because if your body's not getting calories from meals, it uses the energy reserve called glycogen which is stored around the muscles. Every gram of glycogen is stored with 4 grams of water, which also drops off. This is why the first few pounds drop off really quickly, on this or any other very-low-calorie diet, then evens out. But not much of that initial weight loss is fat. Weight does NOT always = fat, unfortunately.

It's new to me...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There have been many threads on here over the period I have been a member with this information and more, glycogen is stored ready for use in the muscles and the liver and one molecule of glycogen means four molecules of water, I cant remember the split between muscles and liver but I think the total glycogen held in a human body is around 500g but thats the maximum.

So 500g of glycogen could mean a total of 2000g of water, dont know what that would weigh, I expect google knows :D Which is why on pretty much any diet the first few days see a big drop in weight but after that it slows down. Bearing in mind that is the max amount it is probably closer to 1000g on average when you take into account that no one would have the maximum amount at all times as it is used through out the day to fuel energy needs. In fact I guess thats why our weight fluctuates throughout the day.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Grazer said:
Not taking the micky, but 2000g of water weighs 2000g! :thumbup: i.e, 4.4 pounds.

Actually, 2000g of water weighs 19.6133 N.

grams are a unit of mass not weight. You need to multiply the mass (2kg) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.80665 m2/s).

I hope RussG doesn't see this, or I'll get another telling off for being an engineering pedant (redant, deadant).

Grazer

borofergie said:
Grazer said:
Not taking the micky, but 2000g of water weighs 2000g! :thumbup: i.e, 4.4 pounds.

grams are a unit of mass not weight. You need to multiply the mass (2kg) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.80665 m2/s).

I hope RussG doesn't see this, or I'll get another telling off for being an engineering pedant (redant, deadant).
And you'll be in REAL trouble if Ambrennan spots it!

alliebee

there is always something fascinating on this forum .....

I learn more on here daily than I did I think at University :lol: :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Grazer said:
Sid Bonkers said:
2000g of water, dont know what that would weigh,

borofergie said:

Actually we are all wrong as I got a bit mixed up with grams, 1 molicule of glycogen attracts 4 molecules of water so you would have to know what a molecule of water weighs, er, I think, maybe, perhaps
ponder2.gif

What have I started here :lol:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The average atomic mass of natural hydrogen is 1.00794 u and that of natural oxygen is 15.9994 u; therefore, the molecular mass of natural water with formula H2O is (2 × 1.00794 u) + 15.9994 u = 18.01528 u. Therefore, one mole of water has a mass of 18.01528 grams. 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
FergusCrawford said:
The average atomic mass of natural hydrogen is 1.00794 u and that of natural oxygen is 15.9994 u; therefore, the molecular mass of natural water with formula H2O is (2 × 1.00794 u) + 15.9994 u = 18.01528 u. Therefore, one mole of water has a mass of 18.01528 grams. 8)

Geek!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
And your point is ... 8)
Well my hands are too big for oral surgery, and they wouldn't let be transfer to Gynae. :twisted:

Grazer

borofergie said:
Therefore, one mole of water has a mass of 18.01528 grams.

Hang on, hang on; one molecule of water has a mass of 18 grams??? :shock: Or did you leave out a "Mu" somewhere?? No wonder my bucket of water wos 'eavy!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
No, not molecule, mole.
1 molecule would weigh 18 amu = (18/avogadro's number)g
= (18/6with 23 noughts)g
= 3 / (10with23 noughts)g
= 30 milionth millionth millionth millionths of a gram :shock:

Dislikes
spicy foods,
so if i stop drinking water then i would be lighter or would i have to be like a camel and keep filling up but less frequently??? : i am a new member to here and have had type 2 for 5 years med controlled though sliding fast to insulin injections bah humbug .

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a hilarious thread :lol: :lol:

Lost the plot after the first post but enjoyed the humour. (first time I've laughed out loud in ages)

Well done to you all.

PS BTW Where is AM Brennan these days?

Grazer

chocoholicnomore said:
What a hilarious thread :lol: :lol:

Lost the plot after the first post but enjoyed the humour. (first time I've laughed out loud in ages)

Well done to you all.

PS BTW Where is AM Brennan these days?
Not sure where Ambrennan is, but there's the probability (or is it possibility?) of 4.67 to power of N where n is =<> than 2.6 that he's reading an encyclopaedia somewhere.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sid, you poked a stick into the geek nest and just see what happened! :lol:

I find if I get dehydrated I get fluid retention because my body hangs on to every drop it can. The more I drink, the more I micturate (geeky word for pee! :lol: ) (so much for trying not to offend the mods :roll: ).

And please don't anyone else mention gynaecologists! or dentists! not for a while, anyhow :shock:

Viv 8)

carbman

Why make type diabetes so complicated ? Anyone knows the angle of the dangle, multiplied by the hypotenuse, and squared, is the way to beat diabetes. Or slaughter a tethered goat and using diviners rods test the direction of stored energy, and divide by 3.4. :wink:

Alternatively, dump the carbs and get to A1c< 6.

type1newbie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You can all lose some weight without trying if you use Coconut oil instead of the oil you use now, most, if not all of the oils we buy are made up of long chain fatty acids which the body CANNOT break down easily so it stores them as fat, Coconut oil is made up of medium chain fatty acids which the body CAN break down and use straight away, so it does not store them as fat, so your weight does not increase, but your energy does. Check it out for yourself, loads of info on youtube, make up your own mind but I lost 3.5 stone in 6 months without trying by using Coconut oil, simples :D