1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight loss plateau

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Fraddycat, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Fraddycat

Fraddycat · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have been low carbing now for about 3 weeks and feeling fab! My weight has dropped easily by half a stone and my BG has been steady and falling within the guidelines. BUT, there had to be a but, I can't seem to lose any more weight, and I have plenty more to lose. I have been stuck at the same weight for about 10 days and even though I am exercising everyday, and managing to avoid any dodgy, carby foods I am stuck. Is there any advice that anyone can give to help me get over this plateau?

Typical food is full fat greek yog with some cream and raspberries for brekkie, 25g almonds for a snack, chicken, turkey, or bacon salad with mayo for lunch, low carb sausages, avacado and brocolli for dinner. I don't know what I could take out of that to make it healthier ...?

Would be grateful for some advice, thanks a lot

2. ballboykie

ballboykie · Newbie

Hi Fraddy. I experienced the same plateau very early on with the Atkins diet. I found that I had to adjust my meals and I changed my breakfasts to 2 eggs and bacon - dropping ALL of the dairy. I also stopped all coffee and tea - making sure I drank at least 10 glasses of water a day. I also added a thickish slice of cheese as a snack at night.
    The rest of your meal plan looks good provided you don't overdo the quantities.
    One very important thing is to have a cheat day once a week. This fools the body and mind into thinking you are returning to "normal" eating once again, and as a result turns off the triggers to store fat.
    It sounds wacky I know, but it really works!
    I lost 10kgs in my 1st 3 weeks, plateaued for a week and have lost another 60kgs over the last 8 months.
    Do not be too fussed about building up body muscle during this time. Reduce the fat and then concentrate on getting "pretty" and strong once again.
    Do stay active though!
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck!

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Try reducing your calories to kick-start the weight loss, don't be too disheartened about losing weight slowly as it took me over 2 years to shift two and a half stone :)

4. Fraddycat

Mmmm tell me more about the cheat day, sounds interesting!! So far I have had alcohol at the weekends, does red wine count as a cheat? I will try without the dairy and see what happens (I really will be full paleo then ...!)

Thanks for the advice!

5. Fraddycat

I put on a pound, there is no justice! I have been really sticking to the low carb diet - I am finding it quite easy to stick to, but I just can't seem to lose any weight. Booooo

6. Fraddycat

Hi again! I think I have found the answer to my weight loss plateau, I have completely abstained from alcohol and upped my fat intake. I read somewhere else on this wonderful forum that if you drink alcohol the next day your body feeds from that alcohol instead of the fat, it definitely seems to be the case as my weight loss has sped up in the last couple of weeks. I am chuffed as I have just been to the US on business - this is normally a nightmare for me - and with my usual low carb shake, atkins bars and pepperami plus some wise food choices I have managed to lose 2lbs!!

I am cutting out alcohol for 30 days to see what the overall effect is - I had really let alcohol become my crutch and feel so much better right now without it.

Since my post above on 4th August I have lost 10lbs!!

7. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I stay on plateaus a LOT and any carbs bounce me back up, so try getting carbs down even further. It MIGHT work
    Hana

8. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Alcohol is a third type of fuel your body can use - glucose from carbs, ketones from fat-burning, alcohol. It takes you straight out of ketosis and you can run on it for about 3 days. So if you have a drink Sat/Sun, it's Thursday before you lose any more weight.

It contains carbs - don't forget to add them to your daily intake - as well as empty calories. :shock:

Red wine is the sole reason I've only lost 7lbs in the whole year so far :shock: :oops: :oops: .

Best thing is to keep off it altogether. (Do as I say, not as I do! :wink: )

Viv 8)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook