Weight loss struggle

FeeMack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I'm new to this forum but I need help!

Since I found out I was diabetic 7 years ago, I managed to lose a total of 6 and a half stone to my lowest weight. I did this by changing the portion sizes I ate mainly and moving to university made a difference. I did a very physical course so although I yoyo'd a bit, I maintained a lower weight. Then, the year that I graduated, I took a bar job where I was full time, working 12 hours in a busy bar a day. I did particularly eat well due to the hours and nature of my work, but I did manage to get down to 11st 7lbs (for my height, 10st is slap bang in the middle of the normal BMI scale). Since leaving bar work 5 months ago and taking an office job (no running around, at all!), I've managed to put on nearly 2 stone.

I've been counting calories for a month now. I never go over 1300 calories a day but still, I've managed to put on weight. I try to walk home at the end of the day and I try to eat right. My diet usually consists of fruit and cereal or porridge at breakfast (never more than 200 calories), a salad with some protein at lunch, and grilled chicken in the evening with vegetables (no carbs after 6).

I am stuck. So unbelievably stuck. It's bringing me down mentally knowing I've put on nearly 2 stone. I just don't feel attractive anymore, not after being the skinniest I'd been since I was about 13! Please can someone help me. I'm getting so much advice from all over the place. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

FeeMack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No... Diabetes care in York hasn't been great. If you can't make the clinic because of work, tough, you don't get seen. What would that involve?

FeeMack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so my gp was my dads gp. When I found out I was diabetic, I wasn't really taught much because they assumed he would've taught me already.

So what's the implications of my thyroid? What even is it?

Complete novice... I seem to have just managed until now...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your Thyroid is a gland in your neck which produces 3 hormones T3, T4 and TSH. In Hypothyroism your body doesn't produce enough (or any in somr cases) of the hormones. This can produce side effects such as weight gain (or just not losing) tiredness and other symptoms. the deficiency can be detected by a blood test, and treatment is usually with thyroxin and for life.