1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight loss...thought your meant to gain weight

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by alf15, Mar 19, 2009.

1. alf15

alf15 · Well-Known Member

He guys/girls,

Im a type since Nov 08. When I was dianosed with type 1 in Nov. I was 13.5st and I'm 6ft tall.

Now I'm 12st my my hba1c for the past 3 months was 6.4. I was told by my diabetic team that I'd put on weight, but to be honest I cant put on weight and I havent really been doing much exercise (as i've had the flu a few times and got injured playing football a few times)

Will my weight increase in ina few months or will I always not put on weight cus I'm eating healthy now?

Now I dont want to put on to much weight, but would like to return to 13 stone.

2. LittleSue

LittleSue Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

It's common for type 1s lose weight just before diagnosis. (In children this may be failure to gain weight whilst growing taller, rather than actually getting lighter.) The weight is usually regained, once the T1 is under control, but you may need "feeding up" in the early months to encourage this. Your flu and dietary changes may be a factor, but if you want to gain weight you might need to temporarily increase both your insulin and food intake a little. When you're happy with current weight, as long as your food, insulin and activity are balanced it should remain stable. Overeat and you'll get fat like everyone else, but gaining weight is not inevitable or continuous just because you take insulin.

Of course if you keep losing weight with T1 under good control, you need to be investigated further as it could be unrelated to diabetes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook